Motor Liberty insurance

Daffodil

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Liberty Insurance. They have an ad campaign at the moment on TV & radio claiming to give really good deals on car insurance depending on different scenarios.

I contacted them to get an quote for car insurance but when I told them that my address was Dublin 15 they told me that there would be an extra loading on my premium. Apparently they give certain areas in north Dublin this extra loading. I wasn't able to complete the request for the quote on line or by phone but had to fill in proposal form. I did all that and then they came back with a quote of €830 !!! The quotes I had been getting from other companies was around €400 so they were quoting me double.

I then decided to do a test and did up another online request with all the same information except for the address which I put down this time as Co Meath and surprise surprise the quote came back at €360 !!!!!!!!!! Nearly €500 of a difference.

I have asked them to comment on this but have heard nothing back. Surely this type of address discrimination is unlawful. Or are the drivers in north Dublin being expected to pay for the mistakes of Quinn - the company Liberty took over.

Would be interested to know if they can do this or should this be brought to the attention of the financial services ombudsman.

No its not unlawful. Part of the rating of a quote is a district the vehicle is kept in. If they have a higher percentage of claims in those areas they will load accordingly and this is what is happening here.

If you have 400 quid from another company why would you go to the hassle of attempting to pursue a quotation with Liberty when they have already indicated they won't be competitive?

I was simply shopping around - like we have been advised to do. I just thought this seemed like such a scam that I wanted to share it.

Needless to say I went with a company that offered me a better rate but I think that the ads that Liberty have on the radio are misleading. I would like to meet one of the people they describe in these ads.

Back