Liam Brady An Irishman Abroad

He was part of that brilliant trio at Arsenal along with . O Leary, and Stapleton . What a team that was.

He was part of that brilliant trio at Arsenal along with . O Leary, and Stapleton . What a team that was.

Over the last year I've been watching highlights from that era (late 70s to early 80s) on Big Match revisited on ITV4. Was more familiar with them fro Ireland days OR Stapleton from his Utd days and O'Leary from his later incarnation as a sweeper for a very different Arsenal side under George Graham.

My earliest hazy football memories start with the 82 world cup and Man Utd v Brighton FA Cup in 83 (am a Utd fan).

Seems like a lot of top players from that era of the First Division went to the Continent - dunno if there were tax or contract advantages to it, more money or less games.

Last edited:
I was in Rome a couple of years ago and got chatting with one of the locals. Nearly 40 years on, they still remember Brady with fondness from his time in Serie A.

part of almost an All Ireland team at Arsenal, if you chuck Jennings, Rice and Nelson, into the mix with Terry Neill as manager and not forgetting John Devine. Should and could have won more to be honest.

Some wonderful footage I had never seen before, but could have done with extra 20 minutes.

I know it was called Irishman Abroad but I thought it could have dwelt a bit more on him establishing himself at Arsenal and how he came to move abroad. I think he was the first foreigner in that era signed by Juventus, and initially only one was allowed, little things like that were rushed over.

I hadnt realised Whitehall Park was his local.

Saw this last night on RTE Player. A really enjoyable look back at a wonderful career.

At a time when very few non-Italians played in Serie A, his willingness to leave the life he had in London, learn a new language and immerse himself in a new culture was extremely brave.

I remember an interview with him a few years ago on the subject of being replaced at Juventas by Michel Platini. While he was initially very unhappy with being dumped, when he subsequently saw Platini play, he could accept why it had to be so.

Typical of the modesty that was evident throughout the programme.

I am reminded of what Wayne Rooney said about a young Irish Derby player (Ebosele?? ) moving to Italy last year and how he was very young to be taking the gamble of moving overseas :) and not thinking that the lad had done it once already

From Brady's perspective, getting a kicking on the Tube one night can't have encouraged him to stay in London

I heard an interview with him earlier where he said that he has ' fallen out of love with the game '. He doesn't like the game from the highest level . He isn't too happy about the Saudis and Quatari's getting involved.
He said he is not optimistic about the quality of players coming through for Ireland either.
He was good with Giles , Dunphy and okey dokey, Bill .

Back