Liability – disclaimer

D

D6

Can anyone help on this? After great difficulty I’ve eventually found a contractor to do some work on my property. However, I’m not certain if they have liability insurance. Assuming that they don’t, as far as I’m aware if anything were to happen to any of his workers while on my property I could be sued. Now I know I could check out if this is covered by my house insurance (I doubt it is) and could possibly take out extra cover myself (but I want to keep costs to a minimum). But is anyone aware of any wording of a disclaimer I could put into the contract absolving me from any claim that they might have on me resulting from accident etc. that might happen while working on my property?

> a disclaimer I could put into the contract absolving me from any claim that they might have on me resulting from accident etc.

I very much doubt that you can do this. A property owner has a statutory duty of care to people who enter the property and this responsibility cannot be abrogated in any way (e.g. contractually) as far as I know. You would be better off ensuring that you have insurance cover for such eventualities and/or hire a contractor who has the relevant professional insurance in my view.

Contractors..........

If the proposed contractor does not have insurance them run a mile from him

Ask him for details of his insurances.

If he is insured then he will be expecting to have to provide details of them to you.

Then explain whats you are planning to do to your insurance co & forward the contractors cover details to them.

If he isnt insured ...........

Back