Level survey for planning application

bartbridge

We're very close to submitting a planning application for a house in a rural area but one of the items to be submitted is "finished floor level and existing ground level and road levels". Do we need to work from a benchmark in order to take levels (as in an ordnance survey benchmark) or where is our starting point?

I used Google earth to find my elevation (in ft). You can pinpoint the level but I don't know how accurate it is. I was consistent thereafter with the drawing and as long as you are consistent in your drawing having picked a plotting point the Council are unlikely to contest it (they didn't for me).

What they are really looking for is location of treatment system, ideally downhill of any well etc

you need levels based on an OS. basemark. Should one not be available, a local one may be used, however you must state that in your application

The idea is that you get an actual contour survey done.
Though some people with access to theolites do it themselves half assedly and get away with it.

I wouldn't recommend simply making up the contours.

You will need to submit an OS layout with your plans. You should be able to identify and use a spot height from that as your TBM.

Pardon my ignorance, TBM stands for ___ bench mark? I'll contact the OSI and see if they can give me the nearest benchmark. The site is in a rural area so there's no obvious one to use. I could probably access a theodolite and get a friend who's a civil engineer to do the survey.

I tried the Google earth option but had trouble downloading it. I'll try again this evening. Thanks

tbm= temporary bench mark
where there is no bench mark, you set a certain point as being 100 and go from there.

Back