Letting apartment to company for their employees

1eyeonthefuture

I've an apartment for rent
I've been contacted by a private company with respect of renting same for one of their managers.
I have for the past nr of years not increased the rent.
The apartment is in a rpz.
If I rent to a company am I still constrained with respect of the increase in rent I can apply given its in a rpz zone.
Thanks

Then the company would be your tenant so rpz rules apply and I think there's extra rules about landlord's and sub-tenants. The calculator on the rtb website will work out how much rent you can charge.

My friend's son got a copy of his new lease for the end of september and it has a month rent deposit, month rent in advance, fee for professional cleaning at end of part4 tenancy or when they leave, property tax and landlord insurance. It has a quarterly fee for parking, window and garden cleaning, and admin fee for late rent. It's unfurnished or they can pay furniture hire.
Neither of us ever heard of those things in a lease before but the letting agent said the landlord provides the legal requirements and charges for anything else. It could be all fine and might be worth checking with a solicitor about other charges.

Property tax?
Yes, that was in the other charges. Agent said if there had been managemt fees that would be charged too. We saw it on citizens advice but they'll be asking a solicitor before signing anything.

Last edited:
Friend's son has to get their own insurance within 30 days and give agent a copy or lease cancelled. Never heard that before either.

I've an apartment for rent
I've been contacted by a private company with respect of renting same for one of their managers.
I have for the past nr of years not increased the rent.
The apartment is in a rpz.
If I rent to a company am I still constrained with respect of the increase in rent I can apply given its in a rpz zone.
Thanks

My brother lets to a company. they then put in whatever tenant they want, but run it by him first.
Its all very easy.
What he did was contact the RTB and they told him that they had nothing to do with a corporate let.
They also said the RPZ rules dont apply.
He then engaged hi own solicitor to draw up contracts and double checked with him that the RTB werent making anything up, and the solicitor confirmed they werent.
Also after 2 years of renting to the company he can escape the lower rent cap that he was stuck under for years.
But its been over 2 years now and he is very happy with the corporate let and even if this company dont rent it in future he will find anothe company. He will never rent it under RPZ rules again.

Some interesting insights here. With the introduction of the RTB and the move to more 'professional' landlords many things have changed in the letting world. Or as Bipped says

the landlord provides the legal requirements and charges for anything else.

Friend's son has to get their own insurance within 30 days and give agent a copy or lease cancelled. Never heard that before either.
I have heard of this although I don't think it is very common. Its a good idea. If the tenants computer is stolen, it is probably not covered by the landlords insurance, why would the landlord be liable, even if it is the landlord will not be happy to make a claim. If the tenant does damage to the property they should probably be insured against this.

they'll be asking a solicitor before signing anything.
The property will probably be gone by then. You will know for next time.

Some interesting insights here. With the introduction of the RTB and the move to more 'professional' landlords many things have changed in the letting world. Or as Bipped says

I have heard of this although I don't think it is very common. Its a good idea. If the tenants computer is stolen, it is probably not covered by the landlords insurance, why would the landlord be liable, even if it is the landlord will not be happy to make a claim. If the tenant does damage to the property they should probably be insured against this.

The property will probably be gone by then. You will know for next time.
They paid a booking fee and the lease is going through solicitors and not the letting agent. Very different to a few years ago.

The landlord would always have bought insurance for his property, and the tenant for his (ie contents insurance).

The landlord has no insurable interest in the tenant's laptop so couldn't insure it.

Also, the landlord would have no idea whether the tenant had a €10,000 laptop or diamond ring or whatever so would not be in a position to list valuable items.

Back