Letting a House for a fixed term of 8 Months

S

SWK

Hi,

I bought a house in Kerry primarily as a Holiday Let. I have been approached to let the House for 8 Months over the Winter. This is ideal for me, as I don't loose out the Summer season. My problem is that from my reading of the 2004 legislation, if I give the tenants a leas for 8 months, under the Part 4 section, are they not entitled to extend the tenancy to 4 Years? Not exactly ideal. Any suggestions how I get around this. The tenants in question are happy enough to leave at the end of the lease, but who's to know that they won't change their mind. Does a fixed-term lease protect me any better? Am I better to operate without a lease? Could I state in the lease that the monthly rent from the months of Sep through May is €650, but is €3,000 for the Summer Months (This reflects the market rate for the area) If the tenant decided to stay beyond June 1, they would have to pay the Summer rate?
I want to do this as straight down the line as I can, but this seems to be an anomaly in the legislation. Any help sincerely appreciated!

SWK

If i can just say to you that SOMETIMES a tenant MAY find it hard to actaully move out on the due date on your lease if he or she has been let down on another property.

Why not suggest a 6 month term?

6 Month would be ideal, but:
1. They actually want a longer (than 8 Months) rather than shorter let, but are competing with Holiday Lets duting the summer.
2. I think the main concern is no the length of the lease, but how long they stay in total. Even if I gave them a 6-month Let and allowed them to stay 2 months longer on a month-by-month basis, they would still be entitled to a 4-year tenure.
Thanks for the input.

SWK

Back