Letterbox broken by Ikea catalogue

Rois

I get tons of junk mail through my letterbox but whoever forced an Ikea catalogue through managed to break the letterbox.

We've tried a diy repair but no luck. So it's down to buying a new letterbox (about €30) and paying a carpenter to replace old one - no idea what they charge.

Can I ask Ikea to meet these expenses or is that being unreasonable or pointless?

Yeah as I though it would probably be a waste of time pursuing this.

But annoying when whoever delivered this forced the catalogue through - why not just leave it on the doorstep like the phone book people do.

You might be able to find a cheap letterbox in the catalogue :)

If it were down to An Post to deliver catalogue then your issue is with them.

You might be able to find a cheap letterbox in the catalogue :)

LOL i wish! I didn't even want their catalogue - in fact they sent me not 1 catalogue but 2!!

Maybe An Post would have the spare parts I need to repair this letterbox from all the other letterboxes they must break :rolleyes:

If you buy an identical letterbox it should be simple to put on. DIY job not carpenter.

NHG I was hoping but had a look around woodies etc and can't find same one. They had something similar in chrome, but need a brass one to match rest of the door furniture.

looking for one too. Any tips?? At the moment we have the inside bit on the outside but no inside bit so anytime theres a bit of a breeze, it makes an awful racket.

If you're in Dublin these people do quite a large selection of hall door stuff along with letter box pieces:

Home Style DIY Ltd, 1 Mary st, Dublin 1, (01) 8735474

If they don't have what you need they might be able to tell you where to get it.

You could have a look on e-bay also.

Last year, when house-sitting for a relative for a few months, someone who was delivering local paper and leaflets chose to ignore the letterbox and try to force open the (locked) porch doors to get the stuff into the porch. They broke the doors, so I found out what company was making the deliveries and wrote to them. We ended up fixing the doors ourselves (due to the fact that it is a delivery company which has notoriously bad customer service), but my point is that while you won't get any joy from Ikea, you could ask them what delivery company they use and get on to them about the damage.

doesn't work in my area! Wish it would!!! When our letter box was broken we had it taped shut for the weekend since there was no postman and ended up getting junk mail just put under our door mat!!!

If you are out near Ballymount Ind. Est. there's a place called Balmar that have tons of brass stuff, this is the one I use

Well worth a look there.

If you happen to be in Dublin City Homestyle is good too but Balmar has a far bigger selection.

If you want pricey stuff Knobs and Knockers has a good selection too.

Hafelle in Kilcoole have a very good selection of stuff too and Frank Flanagan Fittings have as well.

No Junk Mail sticker in our area seems to be like a magnet to leaflet posters, usually end up with two copies of each leaflet!

I put out an external post box and sealed the letter box shut... can you do same?.... amount of junk mail i receive is mad...

Something similar happened to my father's porch. They jammed so much junk mail in that they damaged the letter box. My father was able to find out who the company was and they apologised and paid for the repairs. So I'd recommended trying to find out who delivers the catalogue and pursue them for the cost of the repairs. I'm sure a company like Ikea uses a reputable firm. Best of luck.

Back