Healthcare costs - not insurance Letter saying denied dental (PRSI) I didn't claim

kappar

Hi,

I used a new dentist the other day and I paid full price as I had used my PRSI free visit in January with my old dentist.

I got a letter in the post this morning saying my claim was denied as I had already used it. It seems my dentist tried to claim while also charging me full price. Am I correct? What should I do, if anything?

The dentist might have been just charging you full whack while waiting for the PRSI approval as you may not have got it! Hopefully there would have been a refund or a credit to you if it was approved.

That's the innocent explanation!

Hi,

I used a new dentist the other day and I paid full price as I had used my PRSI free visit in January with my old dentist.

I got a letter in the post this morning saying my claim was denied as I had already used it. It seems my dentist tried to claim while also charging me full price. Am I correct? What should I do, if anything?
This happened to me. I rang the dentist for an appointment, they tried to check online if I was entitled to a PRSI reduction. The dentist said that the system was slow and wasn't showing up whether I was entitled to it or not. A few days later I got a letter in the post saying I wasn't entitled to a refund. I reckon that they automatically send a letter when the dentist triggers their system with a request for information.

Yes I'm a dentist and check everyone to give the best deal possible, the prsi send out a letter. Not a great system and I even worse for medical card holders as I check there's too and they are confused. Less of an issue now that scale and polishes are covered on m/c but still happens if I've claimed a sp and come back for another.
No one will double bill, it's just to give the best deal.

Great. Sounds like a bad system. I was a annoyed as the dentist may have been charging me and claiming for my PRSI as I mentioned to him I had dental insurance. But sounds like it's just the way the system works. Waste of money as they posted me the letter too!

Yes I'm a dentist and check everyone to give the best deal possible, the prsi send out a letter. Not a great system and I even worse for medical card holders as I check there's too and they are confused. Less of an issue now that scale and polishes are covered on m/c but still happens if I've claimed a sp and come back for another.
No one will double bill, it's just to give the best deal.

Separate query to OP but as you are a dentist you might know answer too :) I had scale/polish done recently, last time I had it done cost me €15, this time it was €50, I did ask was it covered by PRSI as thought maybe they hadn't allowed for that or whatever. Said it was subsidised and included in the cost. Now when I came home I googled just to check and on the Cit Info site it says we get one per year but there is an extra cost but that is capped at €15 but clearly not! I'm presuming dentists can just decide their charges are higher than the PRSI contribution plus €15 and charge the extra?

Great. Sounds like a bad system. I was a annoyed as the dentist may have been charging me and claiming for my PRSI as I mentioned to him I had dental insurance. But sounds like it's just the way the system works. Waste of money as they posted me the letter too!
Yes it's a waste of government (tax) money, a total waste. It obviously to let dentist know we watching you and to let patient know they are a subject of the overgrown State

Separate query to OP but as you are a dentist you might know answer too :) I had scale/polish done recently, last time I had it done cost me €15, this time it was €50, I did ask was it covered by PRSI as thought maybe they hadn't allowed for that or whatever. Said it was subsidised and included in the cost. Now when I came home I googled just to check and on the Cit Info site it says we get one per year but there is an extra cost but that is capped at €15 but clearly not! I'm presuming dentists can just decide their charges are higher than the PRSI contribution plus €15 and charge the extra?
So normally no dentist would charge prsi and a fee greater than 15 for the scale and polish. Sometimes people come back before calender year and then you charge them privately and obviously no prsi

So normally no dentist would charge prsi and a fee greater than 15 for the scale and polish. Sometimes people come back before calender year and then you charge them privately and obviously no prsi
Ok thanks, kinda strange so, definitely not back before year up, first visit back since Covid struck and it was normal 30min session they allow so not anything extra timewise either!

Back