Lenient Sentencing for Manslaughter

QED

http://www.clarepeople.com/wordp5/201011084343/two-jailed-for-unlawful-killing-of-clare-teacher/

"TWO Clare men have been jailed for five and four years respectively for their part in the unlawful killing of a 26-year-old teacher in Ennis last December.
Ennis Circuit Court heard today that he was punched in the face by Harry Dinan in an unprovoked attack and he fell to the ground hitting his head off the pavement.
Kevin Dinan struck Mr Casey in the face and head as he lay unconscious on the ground.
Harry Dinan, who has 64 previous convictions and who was on temporary release from prison at the time of the incident, was given a five-year prison sentence.
Kevin Dinan, who has 17 previous convictions and who was on bail at the time of the offence, was given four years in prison."

4 and 5 years in Jail for killing a young man in an unprovoked attack (on St. Stephens Day), is outragous. I am fuming.

These thugs have shown they can't live by the rules of society and I think that 15 -20 years would be a more fitting term.

Its disgraceful. Why werent they done for murder? They were beating him - its not like they 'accidently' killed him, one of them was hitting him in the face and head while he was unconscious.

I agree with you QED - 15 or 20 years would sound far more fitting to me too.

Chances are these two will be out clocking up more convictions in a couple of years time.

"A 26-YEAR-OLD Clare man who shot dead a neighbour whom he said had threatened to slit his daughters’ throats, has been jailed for life after being found guilty of murder by unanimous verdict.
He shot the 27-year-old at close range with a double-barreled shotgun, after first confronting him over threats he had made to slit his two and five year old daughters’ throats, shoot down his back door and put petrol in his letterbox."

Above is a different case from the same newspaper. If anything there is at least some reason for the terrible murder.

There is not that much difference in the 2 cases but there is a huge difference in the conviction and sentence.

Who do the Judges have to answer to? Is it possible to make an official complaint to someone? Perhaps the DPP will appeal the sentence?

QED - it seems to me that the big difference between the 2 cases is the premeditation element.

The guys in the first case did not go specifically looking for the guy they killed to kill him, they happened upon him, became aggressive and 'accidently' killed him.

In the second case the father (after being threatened repeatedly by his victim) went and got a gun and went off with the specific intention of killing the guy.

I actually think the first situation is worse tbh - at least in the second case the guy had a reason to do it. Senseless violence is far more frightening to me than someone with an actual reason to do it. That guy snapped, the two guys in the first case live in a permanent case of no morals.

But in law the premeditation is worse.

The 'Just Us' system is there to maintain status quo. Keep people living in fear by not issuing proper sentences to real criminals. Cop on.

QED - it seems to me that the big difference between the 2 cases is the premeditation element.

The guys in the first case did not go specifically looking for the guy they killed to kill him, they happened upon him, became aggressive and 'accidently' killed him.

In the second case the father (after being threatened repeatedly by his victim) went and got a gun and went off with the specific intention of killing the guy.

I actually think the first situation is worse tbh - at least in the second case the guy had a reason to do it. Senseless violence is far more frightening to me than someone with an actual reason to do it. That guy snapped, the two guys in the first case live in a permanent case of no morals.

But in law the premeditation is worse.

There was a case a few years ago where a young woman was "provoked" in a shop by an acquantance of hers, went home, got a knife, found the "provoker" again and stabbed her to death. She was convicted of manslaughter because the jury didn't think going home and tooling up counted as premeditation. She got to share a cell with her mother IIRC.

Juries in many cases are far too easily swayed by sob stories about what an awful life with alcoholic parents and the rest the violent offenders had and how they don't know any better.

I reckon after 64 previous convictions it's time to consider whether people like these should be allowed temporary release without having proven anger management skills.

I reckon after 64 previous convictions it's time to consider whether people like these should be allowed temporary release without having proven anger management skills.

Best thing IMO is to put them at the bottom of a pile of recycling materials that we export on a ship to somewhere...

The sentencing for the first case is an absolute disgrace. Time off for good behaviour and they're back out again on the streets. Its nothing short of an insult to the family of the innocent young man they killed.

Not as lenient as those former blackrock college students who kicked a man to death after chasing him up a street and plenty of witnesses.Now I wonder how did they manage to get off so lightly.

How did this guy only get 10 years...? He sould never be left out again... One of the worst cases I have ever read. Surely 30 years would have been more apt?
If it was any other country he would never see the light of day again. he will be out after 5 years. This is like something from A Clockwork Orange.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1111/myersa.html

A Dundalk man has been sentenced to ten years imprisonment for what the Central Criminal Court had been told was a random act of extreme violence.
Angelo O'Riordan, 23, from Point Road, Bellurgan, had been charged with the murder of Aidan Myers at Upper Faughart on December 13th, 2006 but pleaded guilty to manslaughter during his trial.
He also pleaded guilty to assaulting Gearoid O'Donnell on the same occasion.
The court had been told that two cars were hijacked by a group of young men in Dundalk on the evening before the killing.
The gang were armed with a machete and the first driver was slashed with it, leaving him needing 45 stitches.
In the second car, a woman and young child were forced out of their car by the gang wielding the machete.
37-year-old Aidan Myers had been collected from his sister's home in Upper Faughart by his friend, Gearoid O'Donnell.
They were driving towards the town when they were rammed from behind and their car forced into the ditch.
When they got out to find out what was going on, they were attacked with a machete. They ended up on the ground, being hit by the machete.
Mr Myers was still on the ground when O'Riordan got into a car, pushing the other car over him.
Det Garda Charlie Geoghegan told the court that a friend to whom O'Riordan had confessed said he could hear Mr Myers screaming under the car as he kept driving.
Mr Myers later died of his injuries.
Mr O'Donnell later died of natural causes although his family believe his death has hastened by the injuries he received in this attack.
The court was told that the defendant had consumed alcohol, cocaine, spamspamspam and other drugs on the night in question.
He had a list of previous convictions including dangerous driving and reckless endangerment.
Today Judge Patrick McCarthy said the details of the case were quite shocking.
He sentenced O'Riordan to ten years imprisonment and suspended the last year.
He also backdated the sentence to May of last year when the defendant was arrested on this matter.

http://www.clarepeople.com/wordp5/201011084343/two-jailed-for-unlawful-killing-of-clare-teacher/

"TWO Clare men have been jailed for five and four years respectively for their part in the unlawful killing of a 26-year-old teacher in Ennis last December.
Ennis Circuit Court heard today that he was punched in the face by Harry Dinan in an unprovoked attack and he fell to the ground hitting his head off the pavement.
Kevin Dinan struck Mr Casey in the face and head as he lay unconscious on the ground.
Harry Dinan, who has 64 previous convictions and who was on temporary release from prison at the time of the incident, was given a five-year prison sentence.
Kevin Dinan, who has 17 previous convictions and who was on bail at the time of the offence, was given four years in prison."

4 and 5 years in Jail for killing a young man in an unprovoked attack (on St. Stephens Day), is outragous. I am fuming.

These thugs have shown they can't live by the rules of society and I think that 15 -20 years would be a more fitting term.

Update in todays edition of the same newspaper -
AN APPEAL in relation to the sentences handed down to two Ennismen for the manslaughter of schoolteacher Brian Casey last Christmas is being recommended – on the grounds that they were too lenient.

At least something is being done about this.

Lenient sentencing for criminals with multiple priors in Ireland? No way.

Way I see it, there are two types of people in Ireland - those that obey the rules, and those that don't.
And think who are doing best out of the place?

Not as lenient as those former blackrock college students who kicked a man to death after chasing him up a street and plenty of witnesses.Now I wonder how did they manage to get off so lightly.

What got me in this particular case, was how the state pathologist insisted that it was alcohol that was the main reason this young man died. I found myself in a similar situation a number of years ago. I was at a wedding and had consumed quite a large amount of alcohol during the day, quite a bit more than this guy had I bet. Anyways, unprovoked attack on me which led to, according to some witnesses, these guys literally dancing on my head for the guts of 20 minutes while I lay unconscious. I, miraculously, only spent two days in hospital, although one side of my face was balloon shaped for quite a while after. Anyways, the point is that I was shocked when the pathologist claimed that alcohol was the main factor in his death. It was obviously the savage nature of the kicking he got which killed him.

Oh and in my case the guys were never charged. Seems the gardai weren't interested. Pffft

Back