lemon tree will not produce lemons

Abbica

Hi, 2 years ago, I bought a lemon tree at Bloom and all is good, it is 6ft hight and doing well, the leaves are healthy, but the little white flowers it produces continuously are brown, no white ones being produced at all any more, a month ago they were smelling lovely and where all white. Plus you can see the shape of a wee lemon producing but then it just falls off. I give it tomoatoe feed every two weeks, water it with half a watering can every two weeks and it is in the sun room in a large pot. Anyone know the secret or anyone spot what I am doing wrong?

Well, you are not doing much wrong, but you live in the wrong part of the world! Even in a sunroom, it is hard to impossible to get lemons ripening in Ireland. Not enough sunshine; they thrive in the Med but not in Northern Europe. Enjoy the flowers, they smell divine.

I wonder how
I wonder why
Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue blue sky
And all that I can see, and all that I can see, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemon-tree

In the film "The World's Fastest Indian" the Kiwi character played by Anthony Hopkins urinated daily on his lemon-tree, claiming it was good for it. NZ has a temperate climate similar to ours AFAIK.

Thanks Diziet.

Corkgal, move to Italy, great advice! Never thought of that. Well, that's it, me and the plant are gone.Word has it no foreign plant can grow in this country and we can't have that now can we. Imagine, I am the only one in the whole country that has managed to grow a 6th lemon tree, never mind my orange tree which is flying along. FREAKY!

i found this link:

[broken link removed]

would this sentence regarding pollination shed any light i wonder?

Pollination
If your tree is always indoors the flowers will require pollination.
In the absence of flies or bees you should do this regularly when the
plants are in flower by using a small child's art brush to dust the
pollen from flower to flower.

btw, agree with you on growing 'foreign' plants. i'd try growing anything, just to see if it would, and i could.:)

Thanks woodbine, great website also. So, grab my paint brush when I go home. Who would have thought?

The tomato feed may not be the correct food for the lemon tree, I feed mine every week with citrus tree feed. I have mine in my sunny porch and it flowers and produces ripe lemons, usually around Sep/Oct.

I would suspect that the Tomato feed isnt doing anything good for the tree really, [broken link removed] will help and as another person already said, the flowers would need pollination, this can be done by leaving the plant indoors and pollinating it yourself with a small brush or leaving the plant outside during the day time and shaking the plant ever so slightly every now and again.

Hi abbica where are you from? sunshine hours vary greatly from 12-1300 up in the north east to 1600 annualy in Wexford. once u see the flowers coming up make sure the temperature in your room stays hot ideally for growth to occur the temperatures need to be in the mid to early twenties during day and mid teens during night. This will help and buy a specific citrus fertilizer the tomato food wudnt agree with it. However if your in the north you still may not get lemons unless u buy a uv multi spectrum grow lamp and supplement it with four hours every day of the year. I have a meyer lemon here in Wexford and its doing fine i dont have to supplement sunshine hours, I have two lemons that are now about 3cm diametre Im waiting to see if they will ripen fully by end of autumn but I think they might there growing fast

Back