Lemon cheesecake recipe - without gelatin?

muffin1973

Hi all,

anyone got a lemon cheesecake recipe that doesn't use gelantin? I used to make one years ago from my Home Economics book (by Deirdre Madden) that always worked out perfectly without the need for gelatin (using philadephia) but have since lost the book and I don't seem to be able to find one online.

Thanks,

M

muffin1973, I still have that book.

Ingredients: 150g digestive biscuits, 75g margarine, 1 lemon, 200g cream cheese, 125ml cream & 50g caster sugar.

Method:
1. Crumb biscuits (blender or plastic bag and bash them)
2. Melt Margarine and stir in biscuit crumbs. Use to line base and sides of 20cm (8") flan case.
3. Wash & dry lemon. Cut 2 slices from the centre for garnish. grate rind & squeeze juice.
4. Cream cheese & sugar in a bowl. Stir in lemon rind & half the juice. Whip the cream until thick & fold into mixture. (Reserve enough for decoration)
5. Spread the mixture over the crumbs and chill before serving.
6. decorate with whipped cream & twists of lemon.

Hope it's the one you want.

Until fairly recently at least, The Philadelphia packets still had cheesecake recipes on the back anyway so they might be of use.

That's the ones with the butter style packaging only I think BTW.

You can buy a vegetarian gelling agent. Tesco's certainly stocks it. Personally I much prefer baked cheesecake. I use a recipe that's similar to this one

Thanks everyone for your replies.

MB05 - I can't believe someone who has that book has seen my thread!!! Thank you so much, that's exactly the recipe i was looking for (I specifically remember the instruction about cutting the two slices of lemon from the middle of the lemon to create the artful garnish at the end!!!).

This is really cheeky but is there any chance you could post the ingredients & method for the Apple Crumble as well - the lemon cheesecake and apple crumble were always the two desserts I made really well from that book - my family always liked them anyway :) Would really appreciate it.

M

No problem, the book is still beside the computer.

Ingredients: 500g apple, sugar to sweeten. Crumble: 150g flour, 50g sugar (brown or white), 75g margarine

Method:
1. Sieve flour into a bowl. Rub in marg. until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Mix in sugar.
2. Prepare apples, slice and put in pie dish, sprinkling sugar between layers.
3. Cover with crumble topping and bake in a moderate oven (190C/375F/gas 5), for about 35 minutes, until crumble begins to brown.

Back