Legality of secretly recording a conversation

Conshine

I have a work problem where my boss alluded to the fact that I should start to look for another job.
It is not a company that is cutting back either, they are actively hiring.
I have another meeting with her at the end of the week and I want to probe a bit more.
It could end up being very genuine where my job may be getting made redundant due to downsizing of my department maybe.

Is it reasonable to record the conversation without asking first and take it to HR if it seems to be a victimisation case or something?
If I ask to record the conversation, she is unlikely to say anything incriminating.

A couple of issues arise here.

What do you mean by "alluding"? Is she hinting? Did she say it straight out? A good employer who likes an under-performing employee may well give them a hint that they should be looking around. This allows them to get another job. If they are fired, they will find it much more difficult.

Why would they be victimising you?

If they are actively hiring, is there another job for you in another department?

Your boss could be doing you a huge favour here. Make sure not to blow it.

Brendan

Visibly write notes at meeting. Use recording to remind you of things you may have missed. Update your notes; delete recording.

Scan and file notes.

Start looking for another job.

At the next meeting, ask your boss to summarise the last meeting for you as you were shocked and unable to take in exactly what she was saying to you.

If you want to record the meeting do so, but don't ask for permission, it will not be forthcoming. If the offices are open-plan they will probably have white-noise generators installed which can make recording difficult.

If you were being made redundant or fired for some disciplinary matter, I'd have expected HR to be involved and I'd have expected you to be allowed to have a union rep / colleague present with you. What is the exact nature of the "work problem"?

It all sounds a bit odd. Is this the same ongoing issue I seem to remember you asking about before?

If it's a company with reasonably well defined HR, privacy, or data protection standards, recording a conversation without consent is likely to be considered a serious disciplinary issue that could see you fired on the spot. So be very careful with that approach.

As above, this could be a manager trying to give you a heads up of a performance issue, but doing so badly. At the next meeting, talk to her about your recent work, and ask her for feedback on your performance. If she says any of it was deemed to be below expectations, ask her to explain in more detail. If she is unable to highlight any performance issues, then explain to her how you interpreted the previous conversation and ask her to clarify.

Document this feedback and send her a copy, asking her to review and notify you of any inaccuracies. That way she won't be able to bring anything up at a later date that wasn't included in your conversations.

Even though a company may be hiring, they may be looking to cut back in other areas. Are the new roles being advertised the same or similar to your own?

Sorry folks, but there is no law in this country preventing the recording of your own conversations.

Firstly check out your code of conduct. If recording conversations is prohibited, then you can't, if not then you can.

You can record a conversation with single party consent, yours, because you are having the conversation.

What you cannot do is continue to record others without their knowledge, for example, if you were at the meeting and recorded your conversation, if there was a break and you left your recording device in the room to hear what they were saying.

As I said, check out your code of conduct before you do anything.

Back