Legal/Land Issue?

M

matrob

Hello,

I need some advice on an issue of a small property and land, if there is some help out there I'd be very grateful.

We have no room on our site to build a garage so I want to build this 30x50ft shed on my neighbours land. I don't want to buy any other land apart from the space that the shed will be sitting on (With a right of away included obviously) The shed will be for my private use, and will not be conducting a large-scale business from it.

What I thought about doing is thus...Get him(the neighbour) to apply for planning permission, being a part-time farmer with other outbuildings and land it should be no problem to get permission(??). I will foot this bill, aswell as all of the build costs incurred. On completion of the shed, he "sells" it to me to make it legal so to speak, i.e. signs the ownership of the said property over to me.

If I use the current cost for land, *roughly* €40,000 for 1/4 acre site. The cost of 150 sq ft is just €544. Now there's no way the neighbour will accept €544 for this small plot.

So, I was planning on offering a few grand to him for his troubles/time and of course the 150sq ft of grass...

I have already looked at numerous sites to put a shed with a view to building a house but at the moment it's financially impossible, and not what I plan to do right now.

I have not yet spoken to a solicitor.

* Do I need to get one involved?

* Is this at all possible??

Can anyone 'shed' some light on the situation?? (pardon the pun)

Thanks in advance!!

Yours sincerely,

Martin

Has the neighbour agreed to this. I can not see anyone part with any bit of land regardless of how small for a couple of grand in case it would devalue his existing property value.

Thanks for the reply,

The place I have planned for the building will be hidden from all his views, He has an outbuilding near the back of his house (about 200ft away) where I plan to put my own shed. The surrounding land is purely scrub with an adjacent field for crops.

So as it stands it will not infringe on his dwelling in anyway.

Having said all that, I can see where you're coming from...

30 x 50 = 1500 square foot - thats a big garage, did you get the measurements right?

Your neighbour will certainly want to know what you plan to do with it and probably restrict it's future use.

Also - if you do need this size shed you will need to multiply the cost of the land by 10 to correct your calculations.

Has the neighbour agreed to this?

AND

The place I have planned for the building will be hidden from all his views, He has an outbuilding near the back of his house (about 200ft away) where I plan to put my own shed. The surrounding land is purely scrub with an adjacent field for crops.

Is this site for sale? Have you approached the neighbour? It just seems like its not on the market and you cannot see any reason why, if you did approach him, he would not sell to you. Looking at it objectively, I cannot see any reason why he would sell to you. For the kind of money involved, and taking legals and such like into consideration, it probably would not make any sense at all for him to sell to you. Plus it may at some future time restrict him or an heir with their own plans.

mf

I agree with the previous posters. What benefit is there to your neighbour in selling you this land for a nominal amount (unless he is hard up for cash).

You suggest that he would get the planning easier than you, him being a farmer? He might, but I suspect that you want this shed for more than keeping you lawnmower. Do you intend to use it as a farm outhouse or for some other purpose. You will probably not be challenged on a change of use in the middle of nowhere, but you always need to allow for the possibility that your relationship with this neighbour will not always be as good as it is now.

On that point, what if you pay for the planning costs or worse the building costs before you buy the plot of land. What if there is a problem. What if he reviews the price of the land when you are comitted to buying. Or decides that he likes the shed and keeps the lot! Unless you trust this guy like you own mother, this is fraught with potential problems.

If you still insist on doing this, your should buy a perimeter around the shed also just for access for maintenance etc.

D

Back