legal/insurance implications for Social club

Zapatista

Hi All,

I am in the process of setting up a club which will organise nights out for it's members. Initially it will take place in bars/clubs but I hope to include other activities in the future such as paintball, go-karting, etc. My question is this. If I organise a night out for a group of members of my club do I face any legal risks on behalf of my members. For example, if members of my club get involved in a fight or take part in illegal activities would I, as the organiser, be legally responsible? Also would some kind of insurance be adviseable for such a venture?

All advice is greatly appreciated

Zapa.

you might need public liability insurance for any club activities, lest any club member cause damage accidentily or inadvertidly. any deliberate act would be excluded under the policy as is common in all insurance policies.

if any illegal act was done, then the insurance would not cover it, as it would be against public policy. the offending member would be individually personally liable, but not the club in general.

also, members of clubs cannot usually sue either each other or the club.

you migth need to talk to some insurance broker who deals with clubs.

you also should bear in mind that insurance costs money and club membership fee needs to take that into account.

Back