Legal basis of local authority's requirement to publish planning applications

eggerb

Article 27 of S.I. No. 600/2001 — Planning and Development Regulations, 2001 appears to require planning authorities to provide a list of planning applications. Specifically, applications for "permission for development, permission for retention of development, outline permission for development or permission consequent on the grant of outline permission".

Article 27 makes no reference to a request for a declaration [of exemption] under section 5(1) of the Planning and Development Act 2000.

Do local authorities have a legal basis then to publish section 5 declaration requests?

good question.

the local authority may argue that
(4) A planning authority may include in a list referred to in sub-article (1) any other information in respect of planning applications which the authority considers appropriate.
gives them the right to include a sec 5 on the weekly list.... however...

the definition of a "planning application" is as follows

“planning application” means an application to a planning authority in accordance with permission regulations for permission for the development of land required by those regulations;

you could argue that a section 5 is not a planning application in that it is for 'exemption from permission', and not 'for permission'.

Thanks for the input sydthebeat. I've put it to one of the local authorities. I'll post the outcome..

In a nutshell...yes they are required to have this available for membs of public to view.

Section 7 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 - PA required to maintain "planning register" of lots of bits and pieces, including s.5 declarations, protected structure notices, warning letters, enforcement notices etc etc are all available for members of the public to view.

Back