Legal Agreement for Purchasing House where find ??

cityworker

I purchased a house with my Sibling - How would I find a copy of the legal agreement that was drawn up by the solicitors at time of purchase ?

Would I contact the Solicitor who arranged sale or do i go to Land Registry/ Registry of deeds?

Thanks

There are two main documents, the contract, and the actual transfer.

If you want the contract, you'll have to go to your solicitor. If you want the transfer, you can go to the Land Registry and get a copy of the instrument (costs 25 quid) if it's registered in the Land Registry, or your solicitor should have a copy. Registry of Deeds will only have a memorial, which is an edited copy of the transfer.

thanks j26.
Do you know which document would say if the property was held in Tennancy in Common or joint Tennacy ?

That would be the transfer, which actually transfers the ownership to you.

It would be worth checking the contract too though. Sometimes the transfer doesn't do exactly what was agreed.

Do you know which document would take precedence - in my case myself and my sibling helped each other purchase houses together ie he went on my mortgage with me and we agread to remortgage mine at a later date a purchase a house for him at later date.

I belive that the deeds of the first house is only in my name and the second house is in his name only (although we are both jointly named on each others mortgages)

For some strange reason I rem at the time that the Sols asked us if we wanted Joint tennancy/Tennants in common ??

As my circumstances have changed since i bought houses ie married with kids. I really need to look into contracts to ensure everything is correct.

"I belive that the deeds of the first house is only in my name and the second house is in his name only "

If that is the case, there cannot be any issue about whether there is a Joint Tenancy or Tenancy in Common - that would only arise if you were both on the Deeds.

Can I suggest that you simply ask the Solicitors who were involved to confirm who the owners of the properties are? If you have a concern and do not wish to go back to the solicitors involved, then you could each ask your mortgage providers for copies of the Deed under which you each hold your properties. Or you could go to another solicitor and ask them to make an enquiry as to ownership.

You should try and get your head around this - these are important matters.

mf

Back