Legal advice on wills

B

benab

Hi

Along with a number of other relatives my friend was left a small amount of money in a late cousins will (dead approximately 2years) To date she has not recieved the money as the solicitor looking after the estate insists all of desceased estate has not been cleared up.. Meanwhile the former residence of the desceased has been sold with the proceeds going to the main beneficiary. It also materialises that some land in North County Dublin has been found in the desceased name and she belives that it would not have been the intention of the desceased to leave everything to the main benefactor, just the main residence

My questions are these

1. Is my friend entitled to a copy of the will and should she have been called to a reading of the will to establish the facts of the will?
2. What is an acceptable timeframe for settlement of the will?
3. How would she establish what the main benefactor is entitled v's all others named and would another solicitor act on her behalf to secure same?

Thanks you in Advance
Benab

1. Is my friend entitled to a copy of the will and should she have been called to a reading of the will to establish the facts of the will?

Before Grant issues she is only entitled to details of her legacy. After Grant issues ( and it must have if property has been sold) she can get a copy of the Will, Grant and Inland Revenue Affidavit from the Probate Office.

2. What is an acceptable timeframe for settlement of the will?
Approx. a year - more if there are complexities.

3. How would she establish what the main benefactor is entitled v's all others named and would another solicitor act on her behalf to secure same?
Get a copy of the above, take it to another solicitor and they will review the situation.

"she belives that it would not have been the intention of the desceased to leave everything to the main benefactor"
If the will says leave everything else to X that means everything.

mf

Back