LED Filament Bulb... poor Energy Rating

odyssey06

I picked up some LED Filament candle bulbs and it was only when I got home after fitting them, putting the box into the bin I noticed their energy rating was F. Output is 5 kWh / 1000h.

I thought LED bulbs were supposed to be far more energy efficient than the old incandescent \ tungsten bulbs.

I did some googling and I found some versions of the bulbs which are listed with A energy rating e.g.

Yet their energy consumption is also spec'd as:
Energy consumption in kWh/1000 h5.00

Can anyone shed any light* on this?

* Not intended as pun

There has been a change in the rating system, as essentially all LEDs were hitting A, and ratings like A+ etc were introduced.
The system was rejigged so what previously was A might be F now.

I'd say that during changeover period things get a bit messy. There should be an indicator somewhere on the label which system is being used.

Check this link; https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_21_4484

There has been a change in the rating system, as essentially all LEDs were hitting A, and ratings like A+ etc were introduced.
The system was rejigged so what previously was A might be F now.

I'd say that during changeover period things get a bit messy. There should be an indicator somewhere on the label which system is being used.

Check this link; https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_21_4484
Thanks for the information. I have to strongly disagree with the assertion in the linked article than it makes it easier for consumers!

I have a highly efficient energy bulb, it should not have an F rating. They should have gone with A1 down to A7 if this is really an A bulb.

5 kWh / 1000h calculates to 5 watts, so its still very efficient, regardless of its energy rating,.

basically, if you had it on constantly it would burn 5 units of electricity after 1000 hours, or 1 unit of electricity would last for 200 hours or 8.333 days

Last edited:
Light energy ratings were rescaled last year, so bulbs on sale now should reflect the new scale. Rescaling is required to better differentiate as bulbs get more efficient.

The key to light bulb efficiency is the amount of energy consumed that is converted into light. You could have two bulbs with an energy consumption of 5kW for 1000 hours, but one delivering significantly more light energy, and therefore a lot more efficient.

Back