leaving the country owing 35k .what will happen

owesafortune

hi all , ive decided im going to leave the country for a few years my debts are out of control and ive since lost my job again due to the downturn, I know its not a good idea abd moraly its wrong , im looking for advice on what will happen when the ban ks cant sumons me to court , will they get a judgement anyway , and will some banks take you to court for 2500; 3 grand ... i would apreciate some genuine legal knowledge ..thanks

ya and since then i havnt gambled and i was paying everything albeit minimal , now i cant even do that and there hounding me, so i havr tried to sort out my situation and was doing well until this ..thanks but i was looking on legal advice not a lecture

ya and since then i havnt gambled and i was paying everything albeit minimal , now i cant even do that and there hounding me, so i havr tried to sort out my situation and was doing well until this ..thanks but i was looking on legal advice not a lecture

You want legal advise on how to break the law?

im looking for advice on what will happen when the ban ks cant sumons me to court , will they get a judgement anyway ,

They will pursue for every last cent plus interest plus legal costs. Enjoy your time away, it'll be interesting for you when you return here! Do you expect to get away scot free after running up debts - how naive some people are...

hmm it seems that it is possible and if a sumons cant be issued it is possible , and with the statue of limitations i wouldnt have to leave for that long , so i will enjoy my time away , and for the other reply im not breaking the law , its a civil matter ,which to be honest the way the banks have behaved in the last ten years I dont feel that bad about doing it , i have payed tax for 12 years here so technicly ive been paying for the goverment to prop up the banks , for them to pursue me and try and imprison me , no thanks .... they can persue me for every penny but they wont get it , due to the fact that ill be gone in 3 weeks

hi all , ive decided im going to leave the country for a few years my debts are out of control and ive since lost my job again due to the downturn, I know its not a good idea abd moraly its wrong , im looking for advice on what will happen when the ban ks cant sumons me to court , will they get a judgement anyway , and will some banks take you to court for 2500; 3 grand ... i would apreciate some genuine legal knowledge ..thanks

Where are you thinking of going and are you sure you will get a job abroad in these tough economic times?? You would be silly to walk away from your debts, get in contact with mabs they will assist you to try and come to some arrangements with your creditors.
PS. Are you 35K, 2500; or 3 grand in debt????

for one its a civil not a legal matter so technicly im not breaking the law, and secondly i have found out that if they cant dekiver the sumons they cant issue a judgement , so they can pursue me but they wont get another penny , and finaly i will enjoy my time away , going to asia then oz, lookingforward to it thanks

no i have alot of different debts between 2500 and 18,000... just wondering if they would bother taking you to court for 2500 , i have a job sorted in oz so its not too bad

I can't answer your question as I am not a solicitor but I think it is a matter for your own conscience whether to pay back what you owe or not. Sometimes one can get so overwhelmed with panic that it is easier to run away but often that decision can come back to haunt us.

Good luck on your travels, great you have a job lined up, you are very lucky in that respect, I sincerely hope that in a few months time you will be in a position to send money home to pay off those debts.

thank you , if i am i will , but to be honest i dont feel as bad as the bankers and hedge fund managers and sub prime lenders that took millions of peoples money and left them homeless and jobless which is where i am at the moment ....

Are you planning on never coming home to ireland? Or the EU for that fact.

And you are wrong, even if they cant issue you a summons they can still register the debt against you. Which means if you do ever return to the country to aviod them you would have to never work ( apart from cash in hand ) never get a mobile phone in your name or a utility bill. You would never be able to get married, you wont be able to claim a single cent in any benefit payments including child benefit if your name is on the birth cert....... do i need to carry on. You probably wouldn't be able to fart on irish ground without them finding you!!!!

If you are planning on staying in oz for the rest of your life then yes you probably would get away with it, but is it worth it to never have the option to come home.

I'm not going to give out to you about the rights and wrongs of this, it is your choice what you decide to do, and using the banks as an excuse is your way of saying you dont feel bad about things.

If you cannot afford to pay these loans then why dont you declare yourself bankrupt?? That way all the loans will be written off and in 6 years you are free to start again. If you just up and leave and do nothing about it you will still have interest added and legal fees.

Now i dont know all the facts of the case but a few years ago a guy that i knew through a friend of a friend legged it abroad after owning a lot of money ( i dont know the exact amount ) He came home for a funeral, he wasn't in the country for more than 2 hours before he was arrested ( had something to do with fraud, so a bit different ) but it just goes to show if they want to find you they will. It will depend on the bank it's self how far they are willing to go to get their money back. I would of thought they would try harder for 18k than what they would for 2.5k

Stop seeing yourself as hard done by, your not the only one in this situation. It's a crap situation to be in yes, but it's happened nothing you can do to change it now. Really think about the future and what this could mean. Going way will stop it for a while but it will all be here if/when you return.

Blaming the bankers - now there's a cop-out ! Reprehensible poster.

As reagrds it not being technically a legal matter only a civil matter - I'm very very sure you're wrong on this. Civil matters are legal matters - only the sanction is lesser. You can expect any family you may have lived with over the past number of years to be visited by debt-collectors.

thank you , if i am i will , but to be honest i dont feel as bad as the bankers and hedge fund managers and sub prime lenders that took millions of peoples money and left them homeless and jobless which is where i am at the moment ....

How convenient for you to blame the banks and not yourself, even though you say you have a lot of different debts and from you previous thread they are a result of gambling!!! - How is your gambling problem the banks fault!. I got news for you, you left yourself homeless and jobless, not the banks. At some point you will have to come back and sort out your problems, you are just prolonging the agony, what you will now have on your credit record is a lot of debt and no record of it ever being satisfied so what is your plan when you return to Ireland?. I have just had friends return from Oz after a tough year over there - the job situation isn't great long term & they couldn't wait to get home. The grass isn't always greener & at some point in the future, perhaps when the economy picks up here you may want to settle down, raise family do all of that stuff and you won't get a penny to do so, at least I really hope you won't get a penny. I know you're looking for legal advice on how to get out of your debt but I gotta tell you - I think what you're doing is disgraceful, you got yourself into a situation & are taking the cowardly way out - I sincerely hope that at some point this comes back to you! What an A** hole!

Ridiculous, immature and illogical attitude.

I think I'll rob a bank since other people do it. :rolleyes:

I bet this will come back to haunt you.

They didn't force you to bet. And blaming them is just showing either immaturity or reluctance to face up the problems you have and have found yourself in.

What a great idea!
Maybe the goverment should ask all residents to leave the country for a couple of years and when they come back our national debt will be forgotten.

I bet this will come back to haunt you.

I hope so! I thought you needed money in your bank to go to Australia?

Oh, and I hope you bring all your family with you too, cos they'll probably come looking for them too.

Back