Leaving Perm to Contract in this climate

yop

Hi
Looking for some thoughts on an offer in front of me.

Currently in a perm role, good pay, pension, health. Role is tough going but there is some flexibility working for a US multi. But stress levels are high. Has broke me a few times already.
Offered a role in Public service (hse) in a program that is long term. I've my own company anyway from previous and have 8 years working as contractor under my belt so know all the ins and outs.

Contract role is coming in around 12% more on the package. Obviously you can claim a bit more, not a killing amount.
Work is something I did solid as a contractor (IT) but haven't worked in that space full-time in 5 years, so the tech has changed and its gonna take time to get up to speed again.

Concerns are:
Covid and government spend in HSE programs and contractors culled. Been told its not a risk BUT what else would be said.
Starting new role fully remote is a lot harder than doing the role initially and getting up to speed and then remoting.
New tech, will be potentially stressful getting back
New faces, its a struggle not seeing people F2F, but then people who you don't know. This is a small concern.
Leaving a well paid job.
Paying health cover, life cover etc.
I know the role inside out, the people and the mannerisms.

Pros are:
Back to the tech side of what I love doing.
Getting away from the stress of the FT role and the layers of process / BS etc in that role.
Been my own boss again
Claiming expenses
Potential to enhance the pension

Any pointers appreciated.

Have you worked in IT in the public sector previously? It is very hit and miss depending on the department. You mention the HSE however it’s not clear if that’s where the role is, but anyway my experience with their IT systems over the years is that they are very complex (not in the good way) and antiquated and with the pressure on their funding this is unlikely to (ever?) change significantly.

Working in private sector IT myself and while there are some public sector departments I would strongly consider working in, the HSE would not be one of them! YMMV of course.

Reactions: yop
Working in private sector IT myself and while there are some public sector departments I would strongly consider working in, the HSE would not be one of them! YMMV of course.

What public sector departments would you recommend?

Have you worked in IT in the public sector previously? It is very hit and miss depending on the department. You mention the HSE however it’s not clear if that’s where the role is, but anyway my experience with their IT systems over the years is that they are very complex (not in the good way) and antiquated and with the pressure on their funding this is unlikely to (ever?) change significantly.

Thanks for your reply.
I have a friend who's in this group in the HSE for the last 4 years. It's 90% contractors and it's a new software solution been developed from scratch.

Back