Leaving HSE - pension query

Loopylou

Hi All - I joined the HSE in 2005 and have almost 17 years service (albeit not all of it is full time) - I am considering leaving the HSE for a job in the private sector (which does not offer an employer contribution to pension) and have a query relation to my pension. I have contacted superannuation and HR in the HSE but they have said it will be some time before they can address my query. My understand is that if I leave my superannuation benefits are preserved to retirement age. However, my query is that of I return to the HSE or other public sector employment in the future and am part of the single scheme, am my previous benefits still preserved and would I, in effect, have 2 separate pensions - obviously the Pre 2013 scheme offers more preferential benefits that the single scheme so ideally I want to make a decision based on the facts.

Regards
Lou

My understanding of the situation is that:

1. You resign your HSE job and your pension remains preserved until whatever retirement age applies to it.

2. You re-join the HSE (or other public service body) as a new employee and thus are eligible to become a member of their current pension scheme - so you couldn't re-enter the old scheme.

If you took a career break then your membership of whatever pension scheme you're in would be frozen until you rejoined.

However, my query is that of I return to the HSE or other public sector employment in the future and am part of the single scheme, am my previous benefits still preserved and would I, in effect, have 2 separate pensions - obviously the Pre 2013 scheme offers more preferential benefits that the single scheme so ideally I want to make a decision based on the facts.

In this event you would have two occupational pensions from the public service. The only potential issue is "pension abatement", which means that the combined amount from your salary on re-employment plus the old pension payment cannot exceed the uprated salary from the post from which you originally retired. As your pensionable age in the existing scheme is (presumably) 65 this would not be an issue prior to that - and then only a potential issue.

Your state pension would be based on your total PRSI record in the usual way, ie, all your full rate contributions (and credits), whether these came under public or private sector employment.

Thank you for your reply. The difficulty is that the likelihood of a career break being granted is very slim, I’ve been refused before, on the grounds that we have staffing difficulties and vacancies. The terms of a HSE career break dictate that you can’t work for another employer in the state if on career break.

That’s all ok but I just worry that I would lose out on the benefits I have preserved if I were to return to the HSE at a later date by entering a less generous pension scheme. If I knew for definite that my current benefits were preserved regardless of any future plans to return to the public sector then it would be an easier decision to make. To leave and jeopardise the service I’ve already accrued makes it a very tough decision.

Thanks again
Lou

In this event you would have two occupational pensions from the public service. The only potential issue is "pension abatement", which means that the combined amount from your salary on re-employment plus the old pension payment cannot exceed the uprated salary from the post from which you originally retired. As your pensionable age in the existing scheme is (presumably) 65 this would not be an issue prior to that - and then only a potential issue.

Your state pension would be based on your total PRSI record in the usual way, ie, all your full rate contributions (and credits), whether these came under public or private sector employment.
Thank you - that’s what I was hoping, that they would be considered as two separate occupational pensions. As I have periods on non reckonable service to date it is highly unlikely that I would exceed the limits from the combination and also I hope that I will be able to hang up my boots at 65 or beforehand!
Thank you - Lou

Back