Leaving extension lead plugged in - cost and fire hazard?

NewEdition

I have a plug in the living room that is quite difficult to get to at this stage - Its just a plug socket, with no on / off switch.

I am considering plugging an extension lead in and leaving it plugged in, so that the socket actually gets some use, as that part of the room has no accessible power sockets.

The extension lead cable would run under the sofa and the sockets would be pushed under the sofa when not in use and pulled out when needed.

Is this safe leaving an extension lead plugged in permanently?
The cable will probably make contact with the lining under the sofa as will the sockets when they are pushed back under. Is that a problem?
Is it costing money, considering nothing is actually drawing power from it?

Thanks

You can get extension leads with each plug on the extension having its own on /off switch.

The extension lead cable would run under the sofa and the sockets would be pushed under the sofa when not in use and pulled out when needed.

Is this safe leaving an extension lead plugged in permanently?
The cable will probably make contact with the lining under the sofa as will the sockets when they are pushed back under. Is that a problem?
Is it costing money, considering nothing is actually drawing power from it?
Thanks
I personally would not run the risk of (i) leaving the extension on permanently and (ii) leaving the multi plug/socket extension in contact with the underside of the sofa. The consequences are disastrous (fire) however unlikely that it could happen.

What are you intending to plug into the extension? Why do you have to use the wall socket at all?

What are you intending to plug into the extension? Why do you have to use the wall socket at all?

Well, the wall socket is behind the sofa and the other sockets are the other side of the room.. This is for those evenings when I want to lay on the sofa, watching tv, looking at my phone while charging it, or charging the laptop, at the same time as having conversations with loved ones :)

I have several of what you describe around the place, in general not enough sockets in older houses.

Another alternative if there is only one item you wish to plug in is a remote controlled adaptor, I have several of these as well where the sockets are in awkward spots so I just leave that plug plugged into the adaptor and can turn it on and off with a remote control.

Actually if you got a remote socket for the wall, then you could plug the extension lead into that and be able to turn off the lead with the remote so power would not be running to it when not in use. Combination solution :)

There's literally no risk of fire with a standard extension lead. Unless you severely overload it which is unlikely with a phone charger. Or your wiring is really old, but then the extension lead won't be the problem.

Remote controlled sockets are great though, and cheap enough. Especially if you are worried about "stand by" electricity costs. Although you are probably going to spend more money on the remote controlled socket (and batteries for the remote control) than you'll have save in stand-by charges....

Just seen a double socket with 2 usb ports selling in Aldi this Thursday for 12 euro if anyone is inteested these are going to be a god sent in our house.

Just seen a double socket with 2 usb ports selling in Aldi this Thursday for 12 euro if anyone is inteested these are going to be a god sent in our house.

I see no issue using an extension cable with a low load, I often use a 3 kw heater on one, the plug gets warm after several hours use but that is a very heavy load, you will be fine.

I have several of these double socket with built in usb ports fitted as I dont like using cables to charge phones, got them on screwfix, €8.15 per double socket with two usb points...

[broken link removed]

... I dont like using cables to charge phones, got them on screwfix, €8.15 per double socket with two usb points...

[broken link removed]

I replaced half a dozen sockets with these a few years ago, they’re handy but you still need the “lightning cable”. Only the adapter plug is made redundant.

I’m surprised wireless charging hasn’t take over. This’ll probably be the next significant iPhone feature.

I’m surprised wireless charging hasn’t take over.
Currently, it is slow and the phone gets quite warm. You basically cant really use the phone while charging wirelessly.

That being said, it is a nice surprise when you find wireless charging pods on a hotel bar or a bedside table.
Maybe we get increased range in those chargers in the near future!

No problem with it, I leave extensions plugged in a lot. Just as long as the load isn't huge (charging phones, straighteners etc.) then you'll be fine. If you want to be extra safe just get a food quality [broken link removed] in there. It's unlikely to go on fire but if it does, it's when you'll be using it so you'll hear the smoke alarm even if you left the room. Never hurts to have a few around the house anyway. Also buy a good quality extension so it doesn't trip the switch when you use it a lot.. that can be very annoying with the ones you buy in the likes of dealz

Back