Leaving Cert Orals to suffer

bamboozle

Teachers who voted to strike next monday should be ashamed of themselves, considering all leaving cert students have their orals starting that day it is a shocking reflection on those teachers who voted to strike.

Given most secondary schools are just back from their mid-term break & only a few weeks from Easter Holidays surely they should have shown some thought for these students and held their own strike during one of their many days off during the school year.

Hear, hear.

Teachers who voted to strike next monday should be ashamed of themselves, considering all leaving cert students have their orals starting that day it is a shocking reflection on those teachers who voted to strike.

Given most secondary schools are just back from their mid-term break & only a few weeks from Easter Holidays surely they should have shown some thought for these students and held their own strike during one of their many days off during the school year.

The year I did my leaving cert 2001 was the year that the teachers were striking. Missed out on a good lot of days - think it was a day a week for a few months. I know at the time it added a lot of stress to the leaving cert students.

I agree, but most teachers I've known probably aren't that bothered TBH.

As a career option teaching should be something that people genuinely want to do but unfortunately, as far as I can see, like the priesthood and the gardaí, for many it just seems to be a "sure I might as well" type choice. A lot of teachers I know positively dislike children.

It clearly exposes the BS spouted by many teachers that their primary concern is the best interests of their students.
Why can’t they be honest and admit that while they may care about the kids they are perfectly willing to sacrifice them to maintain their privileged position.
The same goes for anyone, public or private sector, who pontificates (or who’s so-called leaders pontificate) about how high-minded they are but then damage those they claim to care about for their own selfish ends.

It clearly exposes the BS spouted by many teachers that their primary concern is the best interests of their students.
Why can’t they be honest and admit that while they may care about the kids they are perfectly willing to sacrifice them to maintain their privileged position.
The same goes for anyone, public or private sector, who pontificates (or who’s so-called leaders pontificate) about how high-minded they are but then damage those they claim to care about for their own selfish ends.

what annoys me most is the fact that the Dept of Education budget was increased by something like 300 million in October budget, however this money was required to pay increased teachers salarys per benchmarking...no mention of this by teachers over the last few months when they complained about class sizes being reduced due to lack of funding etc...

Indeed. Reminds me of the story today about the head of Concern being paid €700 a day when he attends the taxation commission meetings. Imagine how many mosquito nets that would buy.

what annoys me most is the fact that the Dept of Education budget was increased by something like 300 million in October budget, however this money was required to pay increased teachers salarys per benchmarking...no mention of this by teachers over the last few months when they complained about class sizes being reduced due to lack of funding etc...

Exactly. If they just didn't take their pay increases the special needs teachers would not have had to be cut.

Would not be surprised tbh. On morning ireland one the union heads said a lot can happen in a week.

One guy on newstalk said........wait for it.....it might bring some common sense to the sitution ( that being closing Ireland inc for a day:rolleyes:)

From Shawady's link:

The union yesterday released the result of a ballot of its 62,000 members on joining the industrial action. While a total of 65 per cent of members who voted were in favour of taking part, a two-thirds majority is needed to pass any motion under union rules.

There was a 53 per cent turnout in the ballot, with 21,518 votes in favour of the strike action and 11,576 against.

Impact said today it cannot instruct its members to take industrial action, but the union said it is committed to protecting any member who refuses to cross a picket line from any sanctions by management.

So, as we all know strike action does not have a mandate. In a sense, it would be undemocratic and should be regarded almost as unofficial. Despite this, Impact are "committed to protecting any member...etc"

But why is any strike action taking place? and if it is (without the majority approval of union members) surely any individuals taking action should be reprimanded/sanctioned by their employers in some way?

What would it take for strike action to be unofficial?

I was just thinking the same thing Caveat.

great minds...

in relation to the orals, my teachers were no use to me anyway that day, my irish teacher just stuck íocht at the end of english words to irishíocht things and my french teacher was a loon, I was better off without them.

So, as we all know strike action does not have a mandate.
But why is any strike action taking place?
Its IMPACT who do not have a mandate. INO, SIPTU for example have a mandate.

What would it take for strike action to be unofficial?
If an IMPACT member does not show up for work and 'unoffically strikes' or if a non union member doesn't want to pass a picket and stays at home - both cases can be dealt with under the disciplinary procedure.

One guy on newstalk said........wait for it.....it might bring some common sense to the sitution ( that being closing Ireland inc for a day:rolleyes:)

I think people are over-estimating the power of the unions. I'm not bashing them but, in terms of the overall workforce, they're in a minority. Most people (especially those who drive/Luas to work), will still go to work, make money for their company and go home. They won't even notice a strike has happened.

Yes it will have an impact, but not as much as say ten years ago.

Back