Leave job now or wait till colleague is back from hols

jesster

I am planning to leave my job and set up my own business in the next 4/6 weeks. My only "back up" in work is going on a months leave (holiday) from mid Dec to mid Jan.

I am hoping that some of my clients will follow me to my new business (in fairness they followed me voluntarily from my last job to here so I think the same thing should happen again).

If I leave before my back up goes then the place will be in chaos leaving no service but it would be good for my new business. Or should I wait until my colleague comes back and leave without any bad feeling.

Should I be ruthless or considerate?

Starting up a new business, you need to get cashflow-positive as quickly as possible.
As long as you stay the right side of your exisiting contractual obligations, then regretfully, you will need to be ruthless

have you made any attempt to sound out whether the clients would be willing to follow you? presumable the previous move was from one existing/trading company to another, possibly (?) a bit different than following you to a newly setup business?

Depends on the nature of your business. I assume from your OP that your are in the service industry. Say e.g your are a hairdresser then all of your clients would probably move with you. However if you work in an accountancy firm or something else then your clients may view the service as not soley being supplied by you alone and may not follow. Is being ruthless the right thing? You do need to make decisions to benefit your own interests but integrity is also something that clients may look for. Does postponing your leaving date greatly affect your own plans? Avoid harming any relationships before you leave who knows what the futre in business may hold.

Yes Im in the service industry. My clients dont really like the company i work for but like my work. Anytime I take sick or holidays my clients are not looked after at all so I feel like I could provide the service from my own business and also change a few things about the service that I think could be improved.

I cant really sound out the potential of my clients moving because the risk of it getting to someone who works here is pretty high.

My good name was always something that was important to me so I understand leaving prior to colleagues hols would be a mean thing to do but I have to think of my business also. I didnt want to start after Christmas as this is always a slow period and I have a feeling my employers wont have any trouble bad mouthing me. I've seen it happen before to a previous employee. Protecting their own interests, which is fair enough, business wise.

I'm still thinking about the decision. I havent made up my mind yet.

Back