leather sofa from Argos

creme egg

Hi all,
Just looking for some advise. I am thinking of buying the following

Has anyone bought a leather sofa from Argos? I know that they are cheap, so wondering what the leather is like. Is it a case of you get what you pay for?

I was also thinking of the following

Has anyone bought anything like this before? what is the fabric like?

One final question, I was going to buy this via the 6 months interest free option. I know that if you do not pay it off within the 6 months the rate is 25.9% (fully intend on paying for it within the 6 months) Has anyone done this, any issues with it?

Thanks Creme egg.

I've put sofas from Argos in the past fabric ones though they turned out fine. My brother had a leather one which was also good you'd never know it came from Argos. As far as I know if you go into Argos they'll show you a swatch of the fabric/leather so you can see what it's like. Also if you don't like them when they're delivered you can send them back

thanks for the reply Staples, will go in this Sunday and see if I can take a look at some swatches.

Creme egg

I was half thinking of buying a leather sofabed from Argos early last summer and went into a branch to look at a swatch but was told they don't keep them any more, you have to ring a number in the UK (think it's in the catalogue) and they would send a sample.

If there's a Homebase near you it might be an idea to go and have a look, it seems they do the same range as Argos. I actually was able to see the sofa I was thinking about (Danubio), although it wasn't a sofabed, and I thought the leather seemed ok. That said, I wouldn't be an expert on leather by any stretch of the imagination.

In the end, as my preference was for cream leather rather than the colours available in the Argos sofabed, I got a leather sofabed from Land of Leather and so far am very happy with it.

I've called the UK number and ordered swatches of the leather in the past, they are very helpful and have no problem sending as many samples as you'd like.

The swatch is quite large so it will give you a good idea of the colour and because it's yours to keep you can use it to match other items you may already have or that you purchase while waiting for delivery.

ad

It was on the consumer program Watchdog during the week that some people are having severe reactions (almost like burns) from a product put on leather sofas made by a particular chinese firm. Some of these sofas are carried by Argos. It would be worth checking that its not the same. I think they may have the details of the models on the BBC Watchdog website.

I bought 2 fabric sofas from argos @ 4 years ago - and when they were delivered I was disappointed - poor quality and I'd rather sit on the floor...
They were cheap - but unfortunately they were cheap in more than one way..

It's hard to beat going into a showroom and sitting on it etc..

I personally will never buy furniture from argos again.....

I personally will never buy furniture from argos again.....

I'd second that!!! I got a bed for the spare room from Argos, and the quality of the matress was worse that than what I had before it.... and believe me what i had before was cheap, and fairly low quality. Granted I chose what I did, fully considering that it was going to be a very occasional bed for guests, but I'd actually feel embarrassed to let someone sleep on it overnight! It's made me very dubious about the quality of their other stock as a result....

I was half thinking of buying a leather sofabed from Argos ...
If there's a Homebase near you it might be an idea to go and have a look, it seems they do the same range as Argos....
Argos and Homebase have the same parent company and their product ranges seem to overlap.

Had a couchbed delivered last week and was delighted with it - far nicer than we expected (even if it was only for the box room)...UNTIL, a few drops of condensation from a can of coke dripped on it, a dribble of tea that we put a damp cloth to, and there are massive white-ringed watermarks all over the yoke....you get what you pay for I suppose, but it was just that it had originally exceeded all my expectations before that, makes it all the more dissapointing!

I've bought 2 double beds and two suites of furniture for them and been very happy. I went for the more expensive matresses (comfort I think they were) would definitely buy from them again

I watched a consumer show ages ago that had customers complaining about the arms collapsing when people sat on them. It turned out that the arms were reinforced with a type of cardboard. When the complaints were taken to Argos they were told that the arms were decorative and not meant to be used in that way.

So I have never even looked at their soft furniture for that reason, though I'm quite happy with some of the solid furniture that I've bought from them (five bookcases and a computer desk).

Back