leather or material? Couches

racso

hi gang, just wondering the pro's and con's of leather or material couch's. i want to get leather due to the fact we are just married so children will hopefully be arriving at some stage yet mrs. racso wants material and cannot see my arguments about stains and waht not. all opinions very welcome

Re: leather or material?

Black leather sofa's are the only way to go if you're going to have little ones. They only need rubbed down with a damp cloth whereas material sofa's will get destroyed and will have your heart broken. Dig your heels in on this one or you'll be sorry in the long run.

We've just bought a couple of sofas in a material called Nova Life. It looks quite similar to suede but comes in a variety of colours. Its also virtually stain-proof, even biro comes off with a wipe of a damp cloth! Its nearly impossible to tear, which suits us as we have a child and a dog. We bought in Sligo, but I'm not sure where you'd get it elsewhere. Maybe somebody else could help on that?

In comparison to the price of leather sofa's did it work out a lot more expensive?

I think generally material is more comfy/warmer than leather. And if you're a sloucher you're not going to slide off it like you might with leather. Though I'm the type of guy who prefers carpets to floorboards (in case no room on the couch & you have to sit on the floor !). You could always get throws & chuck them over the couch & just wash them.

I am vegan so had better keep my thoughts on this one to myself.

It depends on your priorities. Something soft and comfy for you and Mrs Rasco, I'd say fabric all the way (maybe with a little outside help from ?) But if you're making a long-term purchase, a good quality leather sofa will better weather the assorted knocks, scrapes, projectile-vomiting and lesser 'milk spills' that come with the patter of tiny feet... :D

its got to be leather, material will stink after a three years of regular use in a busy home.

Check out www.sfuk.co.uk - Steinhoff furniture, a South African company produce sofa made of what sounds like that described by Berlin. We went to their base in Tewkesbury ( England) a while back and saw something very similar, but opted for leather.
The website may provide links to tell you if they have stockists in Ireland.

Went for leather in two rooms and honestly don't know what I was thinking of. They are feezing cold and slippy - I don't have kids so the whole easy-clean advantage is lost on me. They look well alright but if you're sitting on it you can't look at it. The only plus points is that because they are cold, the cats won't go near them so no cat hairs.

I'm a carpet over wood floor person too (thought I was the last of the Mohicans) so it must be a related issue similar to the flannel/crispy cotton sheet debate.

Rebecca

Material all the way - leather is only for hot countries where you need to find something cool to lounge on. Kids can be house trained - I have 2 of them - use throws, washable covers or even those plastic backed pet rugs if you must but when they go to bed you need to collapse in comfort.

Have a leather sofa at the moment, seriously contemplating changing it for material and keeping the leather one for kids tv/play room.

The leather is cold and slippy and not very comfy to be honest.. although I must admit , it has endured 4 years of yogurt, puke, marker, etc etc and still looks as new as the day we got it..

you have to decide which you want to priortise, comfort or ease of cleaning.

I think seeing as i am just a lazy git it would be better to get the leather option regarding cleaning of it. While i have a throw myself on the couch in work(It's aspecial room for young people) i do feel that it just hides the couch itself. Thanks for all the advice folks

Dont know what people are talking about re cold. I have 2 boys, 4 & 6, and went for leather suite last year. Still see nothing to msuggest I made a bad choice. Mind you, we dont let the kids eat on it or put muddy shoes on it. Has to be leather with kids, the previous suite was material and it was well stained by the little darlings.

I find leather to be cold and slippy too and I'd always go for material now.

can always get the material professionally cleaned every couple of years. Agree leather looks good and only thing for kids but I have young messy kids/babies and it's the best thing to be bouncing on and playing on!
COOOOOMFORTABLE

Hi,
question for those with leather sofas..... do you have any tips to prevent the leather cushions slipping all around the place? Have just got a leather sofa made and whilst it looks good etc, the slipping cushions is pretty annoying. Would using velcro patches be any use?? any hints/ideas would be much appreciated!!

Each cushion on my sofa has a heavy duty velcro strap stitched across the underneath, they don't budge no matter how much the kids jump on them.

really? do you have velcro attached to both the cushion and the sofa itself? i didn't think a strip of velcro would do it, i was thinking in terms of patches... do you mind me asking the best way of doing this??

cheers,

Hi,
question for those with leather sofas..... do you have any tips to prevent the leather cushions slipping all around the place? Have just got a leather sofa made and whilst it looks good etc, the slipping cushions is pretty annoying. Would using velcro patches be any use?? any hints/ideas would be much appreciated!!

The manufacturer should have taken care of this and you should go back to where you bought it to complain.

Back