Lease To New Tenants?

PeterD37

A little dilemma someone might be able to help me with.

I rented a house in September 2015 and as per the new rental rules, planned to increase the rent in September 2017 as the house is not in a pressure zone yet but I expect it to be.

The lease was signed by one person two years ago and he had three friends living with him. I think he may have left the house and is not answering his phone.

Can I request the names and IDs of those living in the house and give them a new lease or do I just write to them to terminate whatever tenancy they have?

I’m out of the country at the moment so I can’t call around

You are in a bit of a mess here, and its entirely due to your own failure to attend to your business.

You need to contact the occupants of the house to establish who is living there. If you cannot call around personally, maybe you can send someone, a friend or employ an agent.

Failing that write to the occupants and ask them to get in contact. But really that is a bit lame.

When you have established contact with the occupants of your property, you can decide if you want to keep them as tenants, if you can come to a satisfactory arrangement with them fine, if not then you will need to explore the position about terminating their occupancy of the property.

How is the rent being paid, who is paying it.

Many thanks for your rapid reply Cremeegg. I got my brother to drop out this afternoon and he met with one of the tenants who has actually been there for the last 18 months. The original signee has emigrated and left the his 3 friends in the house with another just joining them. They want to continue to stay in the house and I'll leave them there with a new lease.

Would you put all their names down on the lease or just one person?

I would put all 4 tenants down on the lease. I'm sure that our lease states something about all tenants being jointly and severally liable for rent so it should give you slightly more protection.

I would put all 4 tenants down on the lease. I'm sure that our lease states something about all tenants being jointly and severally liable for rent so it should give you slightly more protection.

Many thanks for that. I was looking at it from a renewal perspective. If the one named tenant on the lease leaves, then a subsequent lease would have to be issued with tenants rights starting back at zero or am I misinformed?

Back