Lease Holder rights

C

crisc

Hi,

I will be trying to renew my business lease soon, and have a question about the length of time I need to be in the location before I actually have rights as a Leaseholder to renew. I believe 5 years is the period of time before I must be given the option to renew??

I bought the business operating as a sole trader 4 years, 3 months ago. And at that time I started a new lease. But the business has been here for 10-11 years in all. So does the right to renew relate to the business, or did I start from scratch with the new lease 4 years ago, and in effect have no right to stay in the property if the landlord wishes me to leave?

And lastly once I have been physically present in the location for over 5 years, is there any benefit in renewing a lease for a period of say 2 years, or would a short lease like that forfeit my right to renew after the 2 years. In other words does the 5 year rule, apply to your residence in location, or to length of the written Lease??

Difficult one for me to explain, I hope thats clear. Does anybody know about the above?

Thanks for your help.

Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine you should arrange a consultation with your solicitor to discuss these matters.

Back