Learner drivers damaging cars

blueshoes said:
im so confused now, when im going round a corner i brake goin in then cluth in and change down in2 2nd or wotever gear and of the brake and den the clutch. friend of mine had an accident the other day and done 3000 worth of damage to another car and her insurance company wont pay out. all because she didnt have a fully qualified driver with her. i think this is really mean like i know ur a ment to have sumone with u especially on 1st prov, but its not possible all the time. i never have anyone with me i think its stupid im also annoyed cuz im with the same insurance company, (they were the cheapest i cud get) my bf has also just bought a car and he's going with them to cuz there the cheapest 3000 euro they quoted him on a 1.1 i think its ridicolous the amount of money they charge for insurance they charged me 2100 for mine on a 1.3. also was wondering if i applied for my full drivers liscience now how long before i would get the test and wot kinda questions do they ask you? i cant reverse properly well just outta my driveway thats about the height of it, cant park either just have to drive into a space and be ready for the road again! i also park way way away from shops so no one parks beside me. im thinkin of gettin a new 06 next yr but i dunno, in my own car at the mo i find i have to change up the gears pretty quick otherwisw it makes a dreadful noise if i dont. im thinkin about it car are very dear though, id love a golf but shir il keep dreaming anyways sorry for ranting on!!

Blueshoes...I don't know if you're joking or not but I'm going to assume you're not.

As you're (actually) cornering your foot should not be on the clutch. You change gear BEFORE the corner. If you're still not sure about that talk to an instructor.

If you don't have a qualified driver with you then you're not properly insured. That's the law. You may not like it but that's it. Hence an insurance company won't pay out. If you want to take the risk of driving without one you do so knowing that you won't be covered.

If you can't reverse properly - LEARN TO. If you don't you'll FAIL your test.

If you can't park properly - LEARN TO. If you don't you'll FAIL your test.

If you've already got an instructor and have had mor than five lessons with him/her change instructor very quickly.

Seriously blueshoes...right now it doesn't sound like you should be out on the streets on your own. You need driving proficiency and confidence (to park and stuff) before you can/should be let loose on the world. Go get lessons. Learn the stuff you don't like. It's really important, obligatory stuff ie...not a matter of choice.

pokerhead said:
Im sorry guys but did i log onto askaboutcomedy by mistake:

"i cant reverse properly well just outta my driveway thats about the height of it, cant park either just have to drive into a space and be ready for the road again! i also park way way away from shops so no one parks beside me"

"my instructor told me that pressing in the clutch on corners is fine as this is called clutch control!!"

Dont mean to offend anyone but its been a long time since i saw something as funny.

P.
So poker head you tell us how you drive

The Irish Driving test doesn’t have any Parking in it (well putting in into a spot at the driving center when you get back, cant count).
There should be parallel parking and reverse parking.
I know that this info is here (AAM) already but here it is again.
Waiting times and Pass Rates for driving test centers
[broken link removed]

Back