Learner drivers damaging cars

brilliant81

do learner drivers damage cars? I figure when they learn normally in family cars anyway they cant add that much wear and tear but then i think they must do some damage when they keep stopping and starting. any thoughts or opinions

I'd imagine they must be very hard on clutch, gearbox and transmission anyway. I wouldn't like to buy an ex driving school car anyway. Stop/start driving is far worse for engines than long distance or motorway driving as the engine may not reach optimum operating temperature which reduces the effectiveness of the engine oil and this results in more wear on the moving parts. Stop/start driving style is also detrimental to fuel economy and I wonder if this also contributes to increased carbon deposits on plugs, pistons and valve chambers. It is for these reasons that ex rental and taxi cars make for poor secondhand car buys.

hi yeah i agree, im only 4months driving and i met my instructer the other day and there school has 4fiat puntos and there gettin a whole new fleet there all like 02's! my car is 00 and yeh i love the clutch i press it all the time even if i dont have 2sumtimes!!

blueshoes said:
hi yeah i agree, im only 4months driving and i met my instructer the other day and there school has 4fiat puntos and there gettin a whole new fleet there all like 02's! my car is 00 and yeh i love the clutch i press it all the time even if i dont have 2sumtimes!!

Watch that when you do your test, I believe they might fail you for "coasting".

They will take a dim view of coasting, you are not in full control of the car when doing this.

I wouldn't be very impressed with your instructor if s/he hasn't picked up on this. Your driver tester certainly will! FAILED.......

I think what you're doing wrong is not continuing to drive the car (thereby keeping control of it) around corners but rather coasting or letting it run of its own velocity which is wrong and dangerous. In the few spins I took out during unofficial driving lessons that was the main thing that I could never get right either! :eek:

I am a learner also and my instructor told me that pressing in the clutch on corners is fine as this is called clutch control!! Do they actually know what they are talking about. Can this pressing in on the clutch or so called coasting ruin the workings of a car??

Are you sure you were told this, the only pedal you should be touching when taking a corner is the brake! The only time you should touch the clutch is when changing gear or after braking, only if braking to a complete stop.

using the brake when going around a corner is very dangerous, brake when approaching a corner or bend, but always DRIVE around the bend, you will hve much more control of the car

OK OK! Jeez- what I meant to say was brake "before approaching a corner" In any case modern cars equipped with ABS would probably offer equivalent handling whether braking on the corner or beforehand. This thread has turned into a discussion on driving instruction and how to pass the driving test and the original point for discussion has been lost!

Card said:
using the brake when going around a corner is very dangerous, brake when approaching a corner or bend, but always DRIVE around the bend, you will hve much more control of the car

I think you're talking about high speed cornering here. In terms of a driving test, "covering" the brake whilst cornering is probably a good idea. It shows the instructor that you're aware that anything could be awaiting you around the corner and you're ready if needs be.
You're right though about bends. Break beforehand.

Disengaging the engine (coasting whilst cornering) is not clutch control. Clutch control comes into play when you're in traffic and need to move very slowly. It also comes into play when braking to a standing position.

im so confused now, when im going round a corner i brake goin in then cluth in and change down in2 2nd or wotever gear and of the brake and den the clutch. friend of mine had an accident the other day and done 3000 worth of damage to another car and her insurance company wont pay out. all because she didnt have a fully qualified driver with her. i think this is really mean like i know ur a ment to have sumone with u especially on 1st prov, but its not possible all the time. i never have anyone with me i think its stupid im also annoyed cuz im with the same insurance company, (they were the cheapest i cud get) my bf has also just bought a car and he's going with them to cuz there the cheapest 3000 euro they quoted him on a 1.1 i think its ridicolous the amount of money they charge for insurance they charged me 2100 for mine on a 1.3. also was wondering if i applied for my full drivers liscience now how long before i would get the test and wot kinda questions do they ask you? i cant reverse properly well just outta my driveway thats about the height of it, cant park either just have to drive into a space and be ready for the road again! i also park way way away from shops so no one parks beside me. im thinkin of gettin a new 06 next yr but i dunno, in my own car at the mo i find i have to change up the gears pretty quick otherwisw it makes a dreadful noise if i dont. im thinkin about it car are very dear though, id love a golf but shir il keep dreaming anyways sorry for ranting on!!

Im sorry guys but did i log onto askaboutcomedy by mistake:

"i cant reverse properly well just outta my driveway thats about the height of it, cant park either just have to drive into a space and be ready for the road again! i also park way way away from shops so no one parks beside me"

"my instructor told me that pressing in the clutch on corners is fine as this is called clutch control!!"

Dont mean to offend anyone but its been a long time since i saw something as funny.

P.

Carpenter said:
[broken link removed]???
Excellent - works best when you read blueshoes' previous post in a Vicky Pollard accent but you do get funny looks from people nearby! :D

ClubMan said:
Excellent - works best when you read blueshoes' previous post in a Vicky Pollard accent but you do get funny looks from people nearby! :D

"Hey what are you laughin' at- Pervert!":D

Back