Leaky Shower

ophelia

I am suffering (or should I say my kitchen ceiling is suffering) from this very common problem. I thought I had the shower completly watertight and had my ceiling re-done when Lo and Behold I noticed a small tell-tale watermark yesterday. I am now thinking of having the showertray replaced and resealed.Is there an advantage in putting in a porcelain tray, is it more durable? Has anybody any tips on the ultimate watertight shower and finally has anybody found a good plumber recently?

The shower tray is probably not at fault, the trouble lies with the seal/ joint of tray with wall tiles. Check out www.sealux.com before doing anything. I've bought this product to use on a new installation myself, I haven't got around to doing it yet but I'm impressed with the thinking behind it.

ophelia, When you say that you had your ceiling re-done, what you you mean? If you mean re-painted then the waterstain usually comes thro' again after a period of time. SO you mightn't (hopefully) have a leaky shower.

I once got a type of paint (sorry, can't remember the name) that actually prevented the stain re-appearing.

If you still think that it's the shower, check, the S bend connections, sealant around tiles and shower tray and finally check that the tiles aren't loose, grouting isn't damaged as water may be seeping down behind the tiles.

It's a difficult job to track where water is coming from - hopefully you will solve your problem.

No Gimme, I mean I got the patch replastered. I know that paint, its called Paint Block and has worked for me in the past, but this was a replastering job. I have checked everything in the damn shower (bar S bend) and can't find where the water is leaking from. It seems to be in one corner well away from S bend, anyway I have lost my patience with it and I am seriously thinking of ripping the whole thing out and starting afresh. Thanks anyway.

Carpenter, any ideas where you can get this sealux product in Dublin?

Thanks.

They are only rolling out in Ireland at present from what I can see from their website. Not on Ebay yet either.

DPL Group Ltd. Old Kilmainham, Dublin 8, Co. Dublin. Tel. 01-4531046

DPL Group Ltd.
Kinsale Road, Cork, Co. Cork. Tel. 021-4964955

DPL Group Ltd.
Kill Avenue, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin. Tel. 01-2843494

DPL Group Ltd.
DPL Park, Duncannon Road, Wexford, Co. Wexford. Tel. 053- 43977

DPL Group Ltd.
10 Dublin Road, Galway, Co. Galway. Tel. 091-771414

DPL Group Ltd.
The Ramparts, Dundalk, Co. Louth. Tel. 042-9329595

DPL Group Ltd.
Industrial Estate, Donor Road, Drogheda, Co. Louth. Tel. 041-9831532

DPL Group Ltd.
Keanes Road, Waterford, Co. Waterford. Tel 051-370412

Most showers tend to leak due movement of the shower walls.If you do go to the expense of replacing your shower tray.Then I suggest that you buy one with an upstand (a turned up lip of about 15mm where the tray comes into contact with the walls).The walls if not solid block,must be double slabbed (two layers of plasterboard) the outside one being the green moiture resistant type.One top of this all joints must be covered with a flexible scrim type 50mm wide webbing.Then lastly give it two coats of a good PVC membrane apllied by brush...........................Then you can tile!.:)

Havsom Cents said:
Jister,
...................let me guess who you work for?....hmmmm!

Sorry but I'm in the mid west and unfortunately that company have no outlet around here. I found them on the manufacturers website as their Irish agents.

I have another problem - all around the shower tray there is a 50mm gap with the tiles almost horizontal and they are coming away. Anybody have any ideas?

As far as I know Sealux is stocked by Tubs and Tiles, I bought it from a local builder's merchant (not Tubs and Tiles) in the midlands, I'd imagine it is stocked by good tile shops. As for the tiling upstand, it's kind of dismissed on the Sealux website and for good reason too in my opinion, relating to shrinkage and movement.

Hi Jister, You need to remove the loose tiles and use some waterproof not water resistant tile adhesive and grout. Maybe you have some tiles left over from the initial tiling or you may be able to get more of the same. I removed some tiles when I thought that was where the leak was coming from in my shower and managed to do so without breaking any. You will have to fill any remaining gap with sealant I suppose. Although having read the Sealux website it appears you can get a type that can be fitted over the existing tiles, but seeing as you are removing tiles anyway you could fit the sealux behind them.

in my house, the shower came with the tray sealed to the wall by silicone. I left this there, used the sealux strip, and fitted that as per instructions with more silicone. To me, i consider that there is a double seal which makes me happy.
i would assume however, that the walls in the shower are not double slabbed...i assume as the house is part of an estate, it would just be normal single slab. I would have used standard water proof adhesive and grout.
I didn't paint the background walls with PVC coating, assuming that the fact that the grout and adhesive to be waterproof would be enough....

Grout is never water proof enough and the majority of showers in an upstairs situ ,if not installed correctly,usually tend to give problems around the seven year mark.

In my opinion the following spec. is sufficient for a domestic shower build up:

Walls: 12.5mm Gyproc Moisture resistant plasterboard (green face) screw fixed to studs at 200mm c/cs. Tile and grout, using Sealux tray at abutment with shower tray.

Floor:19mm WBP plywood sheeting screw fixed to floor joists at 200mm c/cs. Prime with PVA prior to tiling. Use a flexible adhesive.

The biggest enemy of conventional grouts in shower applications is constant wetting, i.e. if the shower is used regularly the grout doesn't get an opportunity to dry and this constant wetting will lead to the breakdown of the grout over time. You can get epoxy grouts which are more tolerant of this (used in swimming pools and other areas that are subject to constant immersion) but these are difficult to use, have a short pot life and short open time. Also they can stain some types of tiles. Some of the readymixed grouts, sold in tubs are less serviceable in shower applicationss compared to powder grouts, mixed as required.

In order to prolong the life of your grouting you shopuld ensure there is adequate ventilation when the shower is used, wipe down the tiles with a towel to soak up excess moisture and go easy on harsh cleaners when you do clean them.

Thanks one and all. Carpenter, why do you need the plywood sheeting under the shower? is this as well as the existing floorboards? What about a porcelain shower tray vs. fibreglass and finally explain 'abutment'. Thanks again.

I was referring to a new build from scratch, the best tiling background is WBP ply, 19mm thick. In an existing situation where the floor is already floored in T&G boarding then 6mm WBP should be laid over the floor boarding, screw fixed. Obviously the shower tray will be ok on the floor boarding alone. But a shower tray should be bedded in mortar to prevent the tray flexng and moving when loaded (this is certainly applicable to ceramic/ acrylic trays). when I say "abutment" I mean that Sealux should be used where the tray meets/ joins the walls.

I had a similar issue in my ensuite.I resealed and made everything watertight but it still leaked through although at a slower pace.Then I read somewhere that sometimes the builders don't fit a frame around the shower tray which means when you stand in it you get a little bit of give.Anyway took off the skirting boards had a look under and there was no frame so I bodged one together and haven't had a leak since...

Back