Leaky roof - builders not responding

The pitch on this roof was probably dictated by the internal ceiling height and the position of the second storey window cill. We normally advise a flat roof or a pitched slate roof in these circumstances. While low pitch slate roofs can be prone to capillary action, they are generally more reliable where velux -type windows are used. Who picked / advised the roof design/covering ?

Would increasing the overlap not mean that the angle of the roof surface is reduced even more?
No, overall pitch will remain the same. Increasing overlap might help a little but will still be liable to leaks particularly when the wind is blowing up the slope.

The pitch on this roof was probably dictated by the internal ceiling height and the position of the second storey window cill. We normally advise a flat roof or a pitched slate roof in these circumstances. While low pitch slate roofs can be prone to capillary action, they are generally more reliable where velux -type windows are used. Who picked / advised the roof design/covering ?
Had an architect. In his words - “There’s nothing wrong with the pitch of the roof. It’s not my fault the builder used the incorrect materials on it.”
So left to the builder. (Who is a roofer by trade by the way, so no excuse.)

“There’s nothing wrong with the pitch of the roof. It’s not my fault the builder used the incorrect materials on it.”
If you look at where the lean-to is joined to the main house, did the builder use every inch of space up to underneath the windowsill or could he have done the cut-in even higher up. If there is room to go higher then your architect should have seen to it that the builder used up every available millimetre to go as high with the cut-in as he could. One of the biggest problems that subsequently occurs with lean-to extensions is low roof pitch leading to leaks and any architect would know that. I think you said earlier that you paid the architect to manage the project. Well he clearly didn't.

Update on this thread:
Builder never returned to paint ceiling. Stopped returning calls.
Decided to wait at least a year to repaint in order to be sure there are no more leaks. Proceeded with paint job in Feb 2023.

Feb 2023: paint job completed.

Feb 2023, as paint job was completing, roof leaked again at bottom edge of one velux window. Dried it off, painter redid the paint in that area as he was still around.
Contacted Builder : answered call to tell me he is in liquidation. Final words of wisdom from him “I will send you the number of a maintenance guy you could use but you can’t trust anyone these days”.

Surreal.

Next steps: Planning on engaging in some other building work in 2023/2024, will get it sorted as part of that work.

Reactions: Leo
Feb 2023 - definitely surreal
Lol… Time Machine travel is great!

Sorry about that..(Painter was due in feb so that date was stuck in my head, but he was able to do the job earlier than expected.)

Back