Leaks in new house

soloeffort

Hi, can anyone tell me if its still the builders responsiblitie after the contracts have been signed and the snag lists completed. We are in the house a couple of months now and have so far found 3 leaks. The 3rd one just last week where water is coming in from outside onto one of the window cills. Can we go back to the builder and ensure that he fixes these or is it good luck once we move in?

If the builder is still on site, you may find that some heavy-duty pestering of the foreman is the most effective option. I recall that female tears and tantrums were most effective in our case.

If the builder is still on site, you may find that some heavy-duty pestering of the foreman is the most effective option. I recall that female tears and tantrums were most effective in our case.

Is there a legal responiblity on the builder to fix the leaks?

Joejoe

Dunno, I'm afraid. I guess the buyer could check these details with their solicitor.

just to add to my question... should this not be the responablity of the trade contractor that carried out the works on behalf of the buider?

What the builder should do at least is pass on the details of all trade contractors prior to contracts exchanging. An O&M manual or hand over pack, most/some good builder/developers do this. We do and would never leave a past client in a position like that, providing a long number of years had not past. If we attended the house and found it was the fault of the owner 'moving or chaging a rad' then we would charge them. I think that is a fair deal..

Joejoe

of course your builder should repair the leaks, and any other problems that those leeks may have caused
is your house covered by home bond ? - if yes contact them

Your Building Contract covers minor faults for 6 months & major faults for 18 months after you get the keys, so I would contact the builder about the problems. Also, put the complaint in writing to their head office so a paper trail is established.

Just a point - HomeBond gives a 10 year STRUCTURAL guarantee on a new home. It doesn't cover leaks, shrinkage cracks etc. In fact, shrinkage cracks are specifically excluded from all warranties.

We had exactly the same problem with leaks, two from toilets, and one in the wall; not to mention the set concrete in the sewerage drains, back door, which wouldn't open, cracked window.

It took the builder approx 3 months to send someone out. This was further to a number of promised visits (6 in total), where we had taken time off work to be home for.

The guy that came out to look at the leak leaned over the toilet to look behind, and then snapped the pipe connecting the cistern to the bowl, this put that out of action for some time; because the builder used a special size of pipe, which is only used on disabled toilets, we could not get a replacement, and he did not send another person out for a further 3 months.

I contacted Homebond, and they said that they could only recommend to the builder to sort the issues, and that there is no legal obligation on him to fix anything.

Is there anywhere where crooked builders can be outed to warn others about using them?

No other country would allow such cowboys build a lego house, never mind a real one!

Sorry, had to get that rant off my chest! but unfortunately, I think nagging is the only tool available to you.

Just a point - HomeBond gives a 10 year STRUCTURAL guarantee on a new home. It doesn't cover leaks

Homebond will cover Water Penetration for 5 years.

OP - The way it goes it that you contact the builder, explain the problem, if you aren't happy with/don't get a reply in a reasonable time then contact Homebond who should send an engineer out to take a look then decide a course of action. You must afford the builder the first opportunity to put things right though. Homebond are not for a first port of call.

More here - www.homebond.ie

Homebond advised me that they don't get involved within the first 12 months, rightly or wrongly, this is what they advised.

They, apparently, only act as an intermediary between the Builder and the Customer during this time, instead of getting directly involved.

Write to the builder explaining the problem. If you get no response ask Homebond for a claim form. In my recent experience you have to keep pestering Homebond.

Back