Leaking overflow in sealed central heating system

lfcjfc

Hi
I have a sealed central heating system running off a condensing oil boiler. The overflow pipe which is situated on the gable of the house has recently started to leak water (significant quantities) when the boiler is running. No leakage at all when the boiler is not running. The pressure in the system seems to be OK at about 1bar and doesnt increase significantly when the system is runnnig. Do I have a problem with an expansion vessel? Appreciate any expertise - thanks

I assume you have confirmed that the pipe in question is actually connected to the heating system :)
Anyway - I have a sealed heating system myself with a condensing boiler, and the only "overflow" pipe in the whole system is the one from the boiler to get rid of the water created by the condensing boiler. This pipe would not be connected at all to the heating circuit AFAIK.
It is normal that water will come out this pipe when the boiler is running. However, if it is way more than you usually expect get your boiler checked / serviced as it might not run optimal.

Check where the overflow pipe connects to in the attic. It will probably connect to your cold water storage tank. The usual cause of overflows is a faulty ball cock valve. This can intermittently leak after water is drawn from the tank, maybe after taking a shower for instance. The boiler is unlikely to be causing the overflow if you have a sealed system.

Just noticed a very steady drip this morning from the overflow pipe, located in the fascia, connecting to the water tank in the attic. No noise from the ballcock in the tank or other visible 'activity'. Haven't seen this before, its a 3 year old system. Any thoughts ??

JackD;
Probably the Ballcock rises higher than the overflow pipe in attic.Can happen as things move a liitle bit. Normally not a serious issue.
Normally just a simple case of going up and bending the pipe attached to Ball cock down a little bit.
Means that when water comes in from mains the Ballcock will shut off incoming water before overflow pipe statrs to drip from attic.

Back