Leaking Gas Cylinder

GreenBoy

I recently bought a gas cylinder from a well known DIY chain. The cylinder was then located in the room I worked in every day and I started smelling an awful smell in the room and thought maybe I'd a waste pipe issue. Eventually realised after a week or two that it was gas I was smelling. The cylinder was leaking. I took it outside and the smell improved. Upon inspection, there was a return label on the cylinder saying it had already been returned as leaking by another customer, but despite this, I was given the cylinder upon purchase, brought it home and had it located in a room where candles were regularly lit. I've contacted the store who have said I must give them back the cylinder as it's the property of calor, so it can be inspected, but not a word from them about how this could have had a major repercussion in my home. I had taken some time off work due to some respiratory issues and I'm wondering now if it was from breathing the gas. That aside, it was a real breach of their health and safety protocols. Any suggestions on whether I should pursue this with the retailer?

As they said, bring it back to them, await their report and then make a complaint

It depends what you are hoping to achieve? Is it the removal from circulation of the cylinder? An improvement in their safety standards? An apology? Compensation for the distress caused? A fine or some sort of sanction by a relevant authority?
There’s merit in all options but your approach must surely depend on what you’re seeking to achieve.

Back