Leak from cracked shower tray- 5 weeks- covered on insurance

nbc

Hi
I was notified by tenants of problem with water leaking from en-suite 5 weeks ago. It took 2 weeks to get a plumber to visit and I didn’t hear back from him. Took another two weeks to get a second guy to review and advise.
He tells me sorting out problem will involve replacing shower tray, tiling and repair to kitchen ceiling- 6k
I had no idea it would be this much so wonder
1- is it covered on home insurance
2- will they try and get out of it as 5 weeks since first notified ?

many thanks guys

nbc

6k ??? Seriously?

Did you check yourself? It could be as simple as the sealant having a gap and water running through the gap. (Personal experience)

If the tray itself is fine I'd be on my knees checking every mm of the sealant around the tray and also at the plughole. A small failure in the sealant can lead to a lot of water running down and through the ceiling.

The plumber might be guessing that the issue is under the tray with a crack in the waste water pipe.

Thanks Peemac- apparently sealant is fine. The issue appears to be the shower tray will need replacing and leak from here has caused most of the issues.
Regarding my question on insurance have you any ideas?
Many thanks
Nbc

some insurers exclude gradual leaking, so if its leaking for months/years, then you could be in trouble. perhaps you need to engage a public loss assessor?

I agree 6k sounds very expensive.

If we generously said 2k for materials and 500 per day for labour, that would be 8 days labour.

You can get shower trays for less than 200 euro.

I'm not an expert but hard to imagine more than a few days work maximum.

Maybe ask for a breakdown of costs.

As far as I know Insurance only covers damage done by leak not cost of repairing leak and there is generally an excess on policy for water damage.

If the property is tenanted you are unlikely to have accidental damage cover which would be a requirement to cover the shower tray but you would be covered for the consequential water damage caused by a crack in the tray . If the damage is due to leaking seals your policy will not cover it .

Back