Layover at Stansted - what to do?

Try booking into the Radisson Hotel - it's only a walkway from the airport, no need for shuttle buses etc. You can stow your luggage in peace, watch TV, plug in your nintendo or whatever, have a nap, have a shower - set you up for the rest of the journey. I believe that subject to availability you can book a room for a few hours at a good rate. You may have to ring them about this as I don't think it shows it on the net. Forget any thoughts of leaving the airport - with the hassle of baggage etc it just won't work, and you'd spend your time fretting about getting back in time. Bon voyage!

Milly is spot on! It is the only place in Stansted that can be termed "peaceful" in any way. Lunch/Dinner more expensive than the terminal but I pay it!

Otherwise Cambridge is a good recomendation, trains are good and much cheaper than into London. Get a family railcard if you decide to go, will save you a packet..

The Radisson sounds very promising - I will make a call.
Many thanks for all the suggestions!

Otherwise Cambridge is a good recomendation, trains are good and much cheaper than into London. Get a family railcard if you decide to go, will save you a packet..

I second that, Cambridge is worth a visit any time. Try booking the train on the net ahead of time, its usually cheaper.

I hate Stansted Airport.

I know exactly where you are coming from Smashbox, it doesn't rank as a favourite airport for me either!

Try booking into the Radisson Hotel - it's only a walkway from the airport, no need for shuttle buses etc. You can stow your luggage in peace, watch TV, plug in your nintendo or whatever, have a nap, have a shower - set you up for the rest of the journey. I believe that subject to availability you can book a room for a few hours at a good rate. You may have to ring them about this as I don't think it shows it on the net. Forget any thoughts of leaving the airport - with the hassle of baggage etc it just won't work, and you'd spend your time fretting about getting back in time. Bon voyage!

Brilliant idea Milly - in case it doesn't work out, in terms of baggage you don't have to drag it with you anywhere there is a baggage holding facility at Stansted - costs a bit though.

Back