Laying sewer pipes & AJs frm house to septictank to replace old cracked ones, advice?

V

veno

Hi everyone,
i'm laying sewer pipes and AJs from house to septic tank to replace old cracked ones and need some advice. im ok about the gradient and packing etc but just wondering about connecting the pipes themselves.
1. they seem to be wavin self locking and wondering if i need anything else like a lubricant etc.
2. they're in 20ft lengths and will need to be cut with a hacksaw to meet correct lengths but after i do this will they still just click into the AJs and other pipes or do i need to sand them first or something.

i searched the forums and could find nothing on this subject so i would appreciate any help.
thanks

Re: Laying sewer pipes & AJs frm house to septictank to replace old cracked ones, adv

Get yourself a good flat file and a hacksaw to cut and clean up the cuts. A jar of vaseline or grease to help them slide into possition and the job is a good one.

Re: Laying sewer pipes & AJs frm house to septictank to replace old cracked ones, adv

thx for the advice

I wouldn't recommend using vaseline or oil-based grease (this could damage the rubber seals over time), buy a tub of the Wavin pipe slip/ lubricant sold for the purpose, it's not expensive. It's important to cut the pipe ends square and to chamfer the male end of any cut pipe sections to ensure that the seals in the female socket are not damaged or deformed when pushing them together. Use a granular bedding around all pipes and bed any AJs or gullies in a lean-mix concrete to keep them in position.

A bit of good old washing up liquid (preferrably Fairy as it keeps your hands soft) does the trick.

A bit of good old washing up liquid (preferrably Fairy as it keeps your hands soft) does the trick.

I know it's been used but it's not good practice and not recommended by Wavin either.

Welcome back Carpenter.

Back