laying semi-solid on concrete

Abbica

Hi, when you are about to lay a semi-solid/engineered floor, how do you go about this? We got our floor delivered from the factory in packs and I hear you either glue or float the wood directly onto the concrete floor??Is this correct and if so which is the better method or is there much difference. Do you need an expert in to do this or is it quite simple to do yourself?

Have you searched AAM ? Loads of talk about wooden floors etc

Semi solids are usually floated on a membrane

Hi, I searched through them but nothing saying what to actually do. Just prices on flooring, how much to lay and one floor is floated, the other glued. Doesn't say which is the best method and also what materials are required to get the floor laid?? Just a polish handy man is working in our area, and I was thinking he could do it, it isn't meant to be that hard....is it?

Personally, I wouldn't get a handy man to this work, rather an experienced floor fitter. If, for example, they don't leave enough space under the skirting board the floor could pop up. There is no need to glue down a semi solid floor, but it should be glued along it's edges, you float it on a polythene membrane. A handy man might not also take doors off to raise the height or cut the bottom of the architrave to make the floor "fit in" snugly.

Have a read here - (not advocating the company just using link for information purposes for you) -

[broken link removed]

Thanks for the advice, that Elastilon sounds great, rang them up there in Newry after reading about it, so going to call down to them and see what it is like. For the basic roll (no underfloor heating) @ 25metres it costs €180. Not bad, did you use this on your house or has anyone else used this? Like something you would see on Dragons Den!!

There are a number of threads on the merits Elastilon here already, use the search facility to find these.
Leo

Thanks Leo, read through the threads and it is all very interesting but still scratching my head a bit. Do I use a floating floor with a moisture barrier underneath, the plywood method or the elastillon? It seems there are more discussions saying plywood is better but that has been around a lot longer and less people have used elastillon. Himself is saying the floating floor with moisture barrier/foam. What to do? Which is the easiest to lay and which is a better method as we don't mind spending more on the estallion if it is better but we couldn't possibly buy it if we need someone in to lay it??

Himself is saying the floating floor with moisture barrier/foam

IMO this is the way to go with semi solid floor, no point in getting elastilon. I would use elastilon for solid timber if I didn't want to glue it down.

Thanks havealaugh, that is it so, I have cracked, we will go with the floating floor with foam, done a lot of reading up on it and it has been recommended quite a few times for semi-solid on the ground floor, so it obviously works. So, look in to laying it now!!

I laid a hall and living room myself - laid onto a concrete floor i na new house. Can be tricky - bit of reading up in advance and taking my time did the trick. I'd be a reasonable DIYer.

The foam layer will act as a moisture barrier - no need to stick the floor anywhere. I picked mine up in Atlantic Homecare - nothing too fancy. Note the points about leaving gaps under skirting - the key point is to ensure the floor has room whwen it expands / contracts (which a natural timber will do over time). I took off my skirting (carefully), and then refitted.

Back