Laying over concrete

Markove

Is it possible to instal laminate over concrete as opposed to wooden flooring where the floor levels are not entirely even and have slight undulations? Is carpet the only option ?

Self-levelling compound over concrete first then the laminate underlay, then the laminate, then the edging-strip attached to skirting board (unlesss you remove skirting before laying laminate and then replace it.)

Thanks. Are there any other potential problems with concrete floors in this type of scenario which could cause trouble down the line - e.g. cracks forming or dampness?

If you're worried about damp then it won't matter what flooring you put down.

Screed is fine, my wooden floors are down 20 years & not a bother.

I would definitely remove & replace the skirting though. The beading just looks cheap.

if your planning to do self levelling yourself then make a big pot of coffee and sit down and watch a lot of YouTube video. it will help the education and you can then decide if your up for it.

Having done it myself a few times, it really is super important to get any high/low spots out of the underlying concrete, otherwise as you walk around the room you’ll feel the laminate sink under your feet in certain areas and maybe hear the air being pushed out through the underlayment. Feckin devastating after you put so much time into laying the wood.

I’d also second removing the skirting and undercutting the architrave around doors to let the floor in under it, rather than using beading.

Whether it’s something you can do yourself will probably depend on how bad the concrete is. I watched all the afore mentioned YouTube videos (very important because the compound goes hard very quickly!) and did a couple of rooms, just filling low spots with levelling compound, worked well, but if you find you need to lower areas of concrete or anything like that it may be worth saving the heartache and getting somebody in to do it.

Make sure the concrete has dried out and I do hope you have insulation underneath the concrete. When you're sure that has been done and the place is dry then go ahead and put down your underlay and then the laminate but take away the skirting if it has been installed beforehand and put it back in place afterwards. Like painting, a lot of people think all these jobs are very straightforward and easy to do correctly. They're not if done properly and that's why it looks well and sometimes not. Think of the haircut you gave yourself once, bet you didn't do it again? :)

Yep, a bad job will make a mountain range out of a hill. Make sure you have access to a paddle mixer so you can mix the quantity you need, and get a smooth even consistency quickly.

Back