Laya Laya VHI change family plan

music

Dear Snowyb,

You have been very informative in the past.

We are two adults and 3 teenagers now aged, 20, 18 and 13

My family was on Laya Simply Connect Plus previously.

On your advice last year I transferred my eldest child to VHI's plan PM1 07 10 because Laya's charge for a young adult on SC Plus was twice the price of VHI's rate.

This year my second child has now reached 18 and I am also considering transferring them also to VHI's PHI 07 10. It is E418 per young adult.

My third child still with Laya under the Simply Connect Plus plan and is under 18 but as the other child is no no longer a child under their terms, the Laya policy of second child free no longer applies.

Asked about saving me money, Laya has suggested Simply Connect (not SC Plus) for my 18 year old child. This allows for Euro 500 of day-to-day expenses to be recouped p.a. (50% of E1000). The saving is not huge.
Before going for this, is there any limitation in stepping up again to a higher level in the future e.g. wait periods of 2 years, or something live that. Or other drawback, not yet apparent?

We are north Dublin city based and focused on hospital in that area.
We are very healthy in the main. But one can never discount possible operations for orthopaedics: knee injuries, sport injuries etc. one thing that Laya mentioned was only 80% cover for othopaedics if one moved down to another pan. Or did I understand that correctly...
Or is there something other family plan I should consider...

Our policy renews at the beginning of this year but we still have a few days to reconsider...
Thank you very much for your advice, it is invaluable in negotiating this maze.

Hi music,

There is a cheaper alternative option for the 2 adults and the 13 year old, with Laya. Details as follows;

1. Laya Inspire plan; price 1140 per adult; child price 284pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess 150 per
admission and day case excess 50 euro per procedure. Good day to day cover included, refund of 50% for gp, consultants, dental etc upto a max
refund of 1000 per year(50% of 2000 = 1000).
NOTE; there is 80% cover for orthopaedic surgery - this means just hip, knee and shoulder replacement surgery.
If this type of surgery is required, the Blackrock Clinic Dublin don't pass the 20% shortfall charge onto the patient.
Thats what Laya were referring to in their explanations.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

18 and 20 year old options
1. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 401(18 - 20 yrs) 50% refund for gp, consultants, etc.
2. VHI PMI 07 10; price 418(18 - 20 yrs) 50% refund for gp, consultants etc.
3. VHI PMI 45 10; price 435(18 - 20 yrs) 75% refund for gp, consultants etc.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

There is no waiting attached to day to day benefits if you upgrade this cover.

Regards, Snowyb

Dear Snowby,
I forgot to come back and thank you for your advice. As ever you are a font of information. I dont know how you do it! or what we would do without you. Thank you again. It is much appreciated.

Back