Laya Laya - help finding a better price please??

babydays

Got my renewal notice with laya. Thanks to this forum made a great saving last year.

This year the Family Care scheme that I had our 3 kids on is gone and they suggest to replace it with Essential connect Family - but this doesn't have any GP cover or physio or OT, routine dental - several items we need for the kids.

We (the adults) are on simply health (Excess) which is E1,297 per person. We are in our 40s and in good health.

Basically our premium is up more than E400 this year but with lower benefits.

What sensible options would we have for at least the same benefits as previously or even lower premiums??

Hi. I changed my plan today, used the hia website which is very good. It can be difficult to compare plans without getting confused so what I did which is possibly not the correct approach (but perhaps others can advise) was to decide how much I wanted to spend and then chose a plan based around that amount. My laya plan had gone up to 1650 euro per adult this year and 1000 euro was my budget. Im primarily concerned with good inpatient cover and wanted to ensure a private room in a public hospital although I may drop back to semi private next year (as most private rooms in public hospitals are usually unavailable as they can be used for patients in isolation with infections such as MRSA etc). In the end I chose a plan with no excess in public hospitals but again might go for an excess plan next year when the prices rise again. If you dont use the plan when you are in good health then you will have no excess to pay so can save over a few years. I have never bothered claiming for GP visits as I dont go very often so this cover was not important to me. Anyway I tend to claim things like GP visits and outpatient radiology etc back on the med 1. I think when funds are tight you should probably focus on inpatient benefits. In the end I went for flex 250 explore which was 1040 per adult. The vast number of policies makes the whole process quite confusing and i expect it will only get worse. My laya healthwise plus no excess policy from last year has been "retired" according to the adviser on the phone today. Im not sure why but it seems that more and more is being sliced off the various policies every year with higher charges to the customer. I remember the days when there were only 5 plans to chose from. It has become more and more complicated and expensive. Im sure you will get good advice here.

thanks Laois1,

I had a quick look at the Hia site. It is helpful but it takes a while to find what we need.
It's particularly hard to find for the kids.

I'll give it another go now. tks again.

Hi babydays,

It seems VHI are most competitive on price and cover at the moment.
A similar plan to your present cover worth considering as follows;

Plan PMI 36 13
Adult price; 1122pa x 2 = 2244
Child price; 180 x 3 = 540 (half price applies from 1 August 2014)
Total family price; 2784pa

Similar hospital and outpatient cover as before for everyone.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?279&357/

Regards, Snowyb

Back