Health policy Laya healthcare insurance

Health policy

Behram khan

Hi,

I cancelled direct debit payment for Laya healthcare insurance i recieved a call from them saying that we couldnt recieve money from your bank and you have 80 euros payment from last 2 months.
I want to know that if you dont pay them do they take it further than calls and emails? And how do i cancel it now so that i dont have to worry about more payments.

Yes, i told them i cancelled direct debit and also to cancel my policy. He said that they cant cancel the policy.
Is it a big problem if you have dues and dont pay it? Do they take it further?

I just checked the Terms and Conditions of my Laya membership. It was in the Rules booklet of my online policy document. Here is your answer.

"b) Your contract is for a period of one year unless we agree to a different period when commencing your policy. If you do cancel mid-year, you will not receive any refund on your premium. In the event of non- payment in accordance with the payment terms of your contract, such non-payment will constitute a breach of contract. In such circumstances we will not pay any benefits for the contract term and we will seek recovery of the losses and expenses incurred by us as a result of your non-payment."

That means i cannot cancel it now and it will be breach of contract? But i cannot continue it for year as i dont need it and for me its alot of money. Is there any other way to cancel. Would they take it further then letters and emails? Im just confused.

Yes, i told them i cancelled direct debit and also to cancel my policy. He said that they cant cancel the policy.
Is it a big problem if you have dues and dont pay it? Do they take it further?

Did you tell them before the renewal date or after it? (I assume from their response to you that it was after.)

It's an annual policy and the cost is an annual fee. Many, including myself, pay the full amount annually. They allow people to pay by direct debit so they can spread the cost, to make it more affordable, but that doesn't change the fact that you owe the annual amount, and the direct debit is just paying your 'debt'.

If people want to change or cancel they can do so at renewal date, and for 14 days afterward (grace period). There really shouldn't be any confusion.

If you had special financial difficulties eg you lost your job or have to care for someone so can't work, you could ring Laya and try to negotiate a reduction. I'm afraid the fact that you don't need the policy isn't relevant, but any special circumstances might just sway them. Worth a try if it applies.

Last edited:
Worth noting if you claimed anything throughout the contract term prior to early cancellation they can seek all of that back as well.

Worth noting if you claimed anything throughout the contract term prior to early cancellation they can seek all of that back as well.
Thanks. But my point is that i dont want to continue with them anymore and they wont cancel policy. If i dont pay them what will happen? Will they just keep calling and emailing me? Or take it further?

Up to them. Technically they could impose additional admin costs for the delayed payment and take it all the way to court. They can also sell debt to a private debt collector company.

Last edited:
Thanks. But my point is that i dont want to continue with them anymore and they wont cancel policy. If i dont pay them what will happen? Will they just keep calling and emailing me? Or take it further?
Were any claims paid under your policy since the start of your annual contract? I think this is the main factor and will decide how far Laya will take this.

But my point is that i dont want to continue with them anymore and they wont cancel policy. If i dont pay them what will happen? Will they just keep calling and emailing me? Or take it further?
Medical insurance is not like Sky TV, Vodafone BB or Netflix, when you take out a policy it's for a year, the fact that you are paying monthly is Laya allowing you to pay the yearly premium by instalments

From the Laya T&C's
"Laya healthcare subscriptions are payable on an annual basis or at the intervals set out in your policy documentation. Payments made by instalments under the terms of the laya healthcare credit agreement may be subject to a credit charge. If they are, this will be stated on your policy documentation."

If you miss any payment that is properly due to us your policy may be cancelled. Please refer to your terms and conditions for further details. If necessary, we will use our legal rights to claim any payments you owe us for services that we have provided.

But my point is that i dont want to continue with them anymore and they wont cancel policy. If i dont pay them what will happen? Will they just keep calling and emailing me? Or take it further?
Medical insurance is not like Sky TV, Vodafone BB or Netflix, when you take out a policy it's for a year, the fact that you are paying monthly is Laya allowing you to pay the yearly premium by instalments

From the Laya T&C's
"Laya healthcare subscriptions are payable on an annual basis or at the intervals set out in your policy documentation. Payments made by instalments under the terms of the laya healthcare credit agreement may be subject to a credit charge. If they are, this will be stated on your policy documentation."

If you miss any payment that is properly due to us your policy may be cancelled. Please refer to your terms and conditions for further details. If necessary, we will use our legal rights to claim any payments you owe us for services that we have provided.

No claims has been made/paid

Then it's likely that they won't pursue you too hard. There is a thread to this effect from 2015 - 8 years ago but I suspect it still applies. But note that if you ever wish to rejoin Laya you would probably have to pay the remainder of your unpaid fee first.

Back