Key Post Laya gives €100 if you take out a new policy, instead of renewing automatically!

I made a complaint. I could tell from their response that they didn't even try to understand my complaint or address it. They just offered me €50 in the form of a gift card and gave the usual "we have taken on board your comments" blah blah blah.

I got absolutely nil satisfaction from making the complaint nor any resolution....the thing is......I reckon that they knew this. It was their cynical way of saying....F off and stop annoying us. Here is €50 go off and spend it somewhere and leave us alone.

"Health insurer VHI has announced a [broken link removed] for customers due to the continued reduction in claims because of the [broken link removed] crisis."

Are Laya refunding anyone money this year? If not I will be leaving them at renewal.

"Health insurer VHI has announced a [broken link removed] for customers due to the continued reduction in claims because of the [broken link removed] crisis."

Are Laya refunding anyone money this year? If not I will be leaving them at renewal.

All insurers provided the first round of rebates. Only VHI gave out a second round and now this is their third round of rebates. Both Irish Life and Laya chose not to follow VHI in these rebates. Not surprising as they are both for profit entities, and will therefore just cash the extra money as profit, whilst VHI is not for profit. The only reason Irish Life/Laya would refund money is if there was sufficient pressure from their customers and/or pressure from what VHI are doing, which there doesn't appear to be enough of to bother them right now.

All insurers provided the first round of rebates. Only VHI gave out a second round and now this is their third round of rebates. Both Irish Life and Laya chose not to follow VHI in these rebates. Not surprising as they are both for profit entities, and will therefore just cash the extra money as profit, whilst VHI is not for profit. The only reason Irish Life/Laya would refund money is if there was sufficient pressure from their customers and/or pressure from what VHI are doing, which there doesn't appear to be enough of to bother them right now.
So when comparing my renewal at the end of the year I should factor in to the price comparison if Laya has given a refund during the year. I am not interested in helping to increase Laya's profits and will definitely be moving to the VHI.

Just to add. I have not even had the courtesy of a reply to an email sent to Laya's head of customer service about another issue. There is definitely an "attitude" in Laya.

So when comparing my renewal at the end of the year I should factor in to the price comparison if Laya has given a refund during the year. I am not interested in helping to increase Laya's profits and will definitely be moving to the VHI.

Just to add. I have not even had the courtesy of a reply to an email sent to Laya's head of customer service about another issue. There is definitely an "attitude" in Laya.
I think AIG went in saw the way it was run ,well in my view, and decided that all this good work needed to stop. Profits are more important than providing good health insurance and dealing with customers and their issues.

Fyi, Laya have said they will be issuing refunds this year. Quoted from an Irish Times article 30th Mar 2022.

"Health insurer VHI on Monday announced a refund for customers due to the continued reduction in claims because of the Covid-19 crisis.

It said customers are in line to receive refunds of up to €300 per adult and a maximum €100 per child, depending on the type of policies they are on. Even those customers on its lowest plans will save up to €75 per adult and €25 per child following the announcement.

All customers who have a health insurance policy with VHI on May 1st will be eligible for the premium waiver and do not need.."

The IT article is entitled "Laya Healthcare customers in line for support payments "

I quoted the wrong part of the article. In the article Laya say they will be contacting customers in coming weeks with details, but don't specifically say amounts.

Nobody from Laya has contacted me about refunds.

In fact I eventually found the name of one of their managers and sent him an email at the beginning of April (about something else) and to date not even the courtesy of a reply.

These are rapidly moving up to the top of the list for unhelpful companies to do business with.

In fact I eventually found the name of one of their managers and sent him an email at the beginning of April (about something else) and to date not even the courtesy of a reply.
It took them 6 days to respond to an email recently.

It took them 6 days to respond to an email recently.
To which I immediately replied and am now waiting since the 28th April for a reply to that email. And the only reason I had to send a second email was because the person I wrote to never answered the question I asked in the first place. So well over a month in total and I still have nor received a reply to my simple question asked.

They are the pits.

No refunds from Laya this year even though VHI did give refunds. I will definitely be shopping around at next renewal and will try and NOT renew with Laya.

@Odea

'No refunds from Laya this year even though VHI did give refunds. I will definitely be shopping around at next renewal and will try and NOT renew with Laya'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It would appear that Laya are now going to make a refund to people.

Laya healthcare is giving an additional member support benefit payment to our members. In the first week of July 2022, a once-off payment will be €85 for each adult member and €35 for each child member.

More info here
https://www.layahealthcare.ie/membersupports/

Renewal time for me.
On-line and renewal costs seem to be the same now.
Any twists / dodges to get a reduction on premium at present ?
Have to agree with the sentiment regarding Laya liking to make a mystery of what is actually covered
I was sent around a loop of three call center people a couple of times when I tried to find out if a certain CT scan would be covered.
Eventually was told that a certain scan center would bill them directly.
Against all odds, I managed to talk to a human in the scan center concerned who informed me that they most certainly would not do such a thing with Laya .
Reverting to Laya with this information I received a 'what do you expect me to know about it' type reply

Fyi, Laya have said they will be issuing refunds this year. Quoted from an Irish Times article 30th Mar 2022.
I got my Ulster Bank current account statement this week and I noticed that a payment refund had been made to it from Laya.

I had let this account wind down due to the impending closure of Ulster Bank and was due to close it shortly.

I had received no notification from Laya to advise me of the upcoming payment nor that they would be making this payment to my Ulster Bank account.

I am not even sure where they got my bank details from as I pay my renewal by credit card. Maybe I gave them this information a couple of years back during the early Covid refunds.

Either way, I am sure that many people have closed their Ulster bank accounts at this stage. It is possible that refunds are being made to closed accounts by Laya.

I renewed my policy recently with Laya. I received my payment receipt in an open ungummed envelope. Not even any attempt to seal it. All my personal details there for anyone to see.

It is possible that refunds are being made to closed accounts by Laya.

Or that the amounts will go to the chosen charity if the account had a small time frame to closing. People were given the option to choose a charity for the possibly small remaining interest. I chose Irish Cancer Society.

If you're with Laya then usually you have to provide bank details for any refund due to claims, now obviously if you have a policy with no day to day expenses covered you may never be getting a refund but if you do then they have to have bank details. These are not necessarily the details either of the account/card you paid the premium from, you can login and change the bank details for refunds/claims yourself.

Back