Laws protecting children with disabilities at school

Winnie1

Where a child has a hidden disability that teachers get no information or training on what protection does the child have against unreasonable demands, humiliation, threats of suspension/expulsion etc.

Eg child with ADHD unable to keep up with peers or typical expectations, has additional learning needs requiring reasonable accommodations which would be capable of being delivered by a patient understanding school (ie many schools manage it others don’t want to know).

Where the child is being singled out, humiliated, punished etc for this learning need what laws can the parent rely on when asking the school to accept the diagnosis and make reasonable accommodations

Are you suggesting a parent is deliberately withholding such a diagnosis? Reasonable accommodations for additional needs requires consultation with the school.

Have a read of this.

The school won’t recognise the diagnosis and insists on tearing the child as if there was no diagnosis.

The school won’t recognise the diagnosis and insists on tearing the child as if there was no diagnosis.
Why are they refusing to recognise the diagnosis? Was it made by a recognised professional and what have they got to say about the refusal to accept it?

Why are they refusing to recognise the diagnosis? Was it made by a recognised professional and what have they got to say about the refusal to accept it?
The link I added above states that assessment for supports are no longer based on diagnosis...

No child should be humiliated or punished in any school setting. Complain first to the principal then if unsuccessful there to the Board of Management and strongly consider moving schools.

The new system means that schools can ignore a diagnosis by a qualified expert. It means that parents can no longer force a school to provide support.
In my personal experience there is an endless supply of platitudes but a shortage of willingness, competence and capability amongst a considerable number of teachers.

@Winnie1, if possible move the child. You are powerless to get the school to do anything they don't feel like doing.

There a better schools out there than that. As Purple has said, move the child to another school where supports are available. My partner's child has dyspraxia. She asked were there any supports available and school oareorganising an SNA for him, without her requesting it. Thats how it should be.

The new system means that schools can ignore a diagnosis by a qualified expert. It means that parents can no longer force a school to provide support.
In my personal experience there is an endless supply of platitudes but a shortage of willingness, competence and capability amongst a considerable number of teachers.

@Winnie1, if possible move the child. You are powerless to get the school to do anything they don't feel like doing.
I'd still like an answer.

I'd still like an answer.
Because they don’t have to recognise it. That’s why they are ignoring it.
Some people seem to be under the misapprehension that the education system is run for the benefit of the students.

There a better schools out there than that. As Purple has said, move the child to another school where supports are available. My partner's child has dyspraxia. She asked were there any supports available and school oareorganising an SNA for him, without her requesting it. Thats how it should be.
It’s usually driven by the principal. All schools have access to more or less the same resources. Some can be bothered to help, some can’t. Some are excellent, some are far from it.

ADHD is very misunderstood. People interpret it as deliberate boldness so the teacher and principal simply won’t accept the diagnosis of a qualified Psychiatrist

Back