Key Post Lawn care

Some other posts

aBitTooFar
mail order / online plant supplier

I am looking for a lot of plants (mainly evergreen shrubs, plus bamboos, grasses, deciduous shrubs) and a few trees. I tried some of the large garden centres but they don't have them and can often not even order them. What I want is not highly exotic and is certainly appropriate for Ireland.

I would buy online or via mail order if anyone could recommend or even just identify a few places. I live in Dublin.

Thanks!

PS I am also looking for statuues, stone sculptures, nice japanese lantern / temple replicas. I tried Fountains and Decor but found them too pricey for what you get.

sherman
Re: mail order / online plant supplier

You can definitely order loads by mail order, e.g. David Austen Roses does a huge business.

I reckon you might have trouble importing plants from outside the country - dept. of agriculture would be able to give you some guidance.

sunnyday
Frequent poster

Try www.futureforests.net/

sherman

What a fantastic website sunnyday! Can't wait to have a garden of my own to start planning my purchases!

sunnyday
Frequent poster

The site is certainly fantastic, but, disclaimer, I've never used them myself so can't vouch for them. Having said that, I have no reason to doubt them. I can't believe more people haven't heard of them though!

murray
Local user
future forests

I've used them and can vouch that they are excellent. They have also advised me on various plants when I've phoned up with queries. Good prices too.

Ceann Comhairle
Gardening Catalogue

Don't know anything about gardening or plants but saw these people advertising recently Have never used them so don't know how they compare with cost or quality compared to others mentioned here.

loadsofmoney
Best weedkiller to kill grass ?

Hi all, bit of a mad question but does anyone know what would be the best weedkiller to kill grass that is growing between a hedge that I have just sown. I need to spray a weedkiller to kill grass but not my hedge. anyone know of the best product ??
thanks,
Dave

sherman
Frequent poster
Re: Best weedkiller to kill grass ?

Elbow grease?!

You should be able to get most of it out by hand and when finished put down something like bark chips at least 1 inch thick.

No need to use damaging chemicals unless you absolutely positively have to.

demoivre
Re: Best weedkiller to kill grass ?

Sherman says: Elbow grease?!

Depends on how much hedge there is . I have 150 metres
which requires a lot of elbow grease! I use Roundup weedkiller which does the job well and doesn't harm the hedge. As the hedge becomes established you should have less weeds / grass growing under it because of the natural shade it provides.

loadsofmoney
demoivre.. thanks ..

thanks for that . demoivre you're rihgt about elbow grease !!! lol. i have over 1000 copper beech in the hedge. the thought of taking to these with a clippers would not be on !
Do you spray with roundup once or twice a year and how early ?
did it brown the grass or kill if off entirely ?
thanks
Dave

legend99
Very frequent poster

Roundup kills any greenery it lands on but i deactivated when it hits the soil. It generally takes 3-5 weeks to see the effects fully.
Unlike say Pathclear which just kills everything and the soil itself. You literally see the weeds die off overnight after you use pathclear.

bobsoap
Re: ..weedkiller

Hello, I am a qualified horticulturlist. Sorry about the brag! The worst thing that can do is actully pull the weeds. Roundup is the best weedkiller because it contains 'glyphosate'. This is systemic, which means that it is drawn down into the roots. It does not kill foliage, but it does kill the roots and this why it the best. Pathclear is good for driveways, but should not be used on soil, as it contains a residual herbicide called 'simazine'. If you pull the weeds, roots will surely break and problem will return. Just make sure that the 'roundup' does not make contact with the surrounding plants.

Hope this helps, bob.

loadsofmoney
thanks for that

bobsoap. thanks for that. Will use roundup . Can you recommend a good Knapsack ? and what price would i expect to pay for one ?
And are you saying that if i use roundup, i'll kill the weeds but they won't go brown ??
thanks,
Dave

serotonin sid
roundup

"And are you saying that if i use roundup, i'll kill the weeds but they won't go brown ??"

They will go brown - may take a little longer than other weedkillers that just work on contact.
Knapsack sprayers: The nearest farm supplies/co-op shop if your in the country.

bobsoap
Re: roundup

Yes the weeds will go brown, but it takes about two weeks. Try and rent a knapsack, rather than buying one. Better still, borrow one. Once it is washed out well, there will be no problem. If the area is small, buy a small amount of 'roundup' and mix it with water in a small handmister, or you can buy ready to go mix, off the shelf.

coininban1
killing ivy

Noticed we have more ivy in the garden than we want. It seems to have invaded most parts of the garden and some walls. Anyone know an EASY way of killing it off without harming the plants already there? Don't tell me to hack if down - thats too hard with the amount we have. Any ideas of chemicals or sprays that can handle this job thanks?

bobsoap
Re: killing ivy

Hello, the only way to kill ivy, is to remove one inch of the stem. The ivy will soon wilt and die. Because it is regarded as a woody shrub, you would need a very strong herbicide. This no use, because you are still left with the dead foliage. That has to be removed by hand, but it is not that difficult once the plant is dead, Regards Bob.

coininban1
killing ivy

I was afraid of that - thanks bobsoap!

BlueSpud
Frequent poster
Re: killing ivy

If you go the chemical route, you must lash it on. I have used Roundup on ivy, but you need a lot of it. The best way is as described above, go to the roots and chop out an inch (sorry, 2.5 centimeters) and this will kill it off. When it is dead, you can remove it at your leisure, also it is easier to remoce when dead.

coininban1
killing ivy

thanks bluespud, I guess its safer too for the surround plants, cheers folks.

Some other posts

KS
relaying the lawn

we need to relay the lawn in our back garden (about 25 sq ft) as it is very uneven and there is very poor drainage. as i have no experience of this kind of thing i was wondering could anyone advise what time of year is best to do this, do we need a rotavator, how can we improve the drainage or any other advise would be welcome.

stobear
Very frequent poster
Re: relaying the lawn

To improve the drainage, we had to dig a channel across the full length of the back garden, at its lowest point (its a very large garden!). We then put a plastic pipe which was perforated into the trench, it went about 10" down, then we covered it with gravel (about the same size a decorative gravel) and then covered and reseeded this with clay/grass seed. We have no water logging problems as a result, the above links might also give you other ways to improve the drainage.

Re: Key Post: Lawn care

We have the same problem, new house crap lawn in back garden, slopes from back fence down to back door, drainage seems ok, but we havent had really REALLY heavy rain yet. HOw best to prepare the lawn? we want to reseed too, Roundup to kill the grass, then Rotovate it and put weedkiller into it, rake it out, get rid of the stones and crap, put in couple bags of moss peat and then reseed it, all in the spring of course!??

Re: grass moss etc.

Many thanks N3000, I really appreciate it. I'll buy that book straight away.

Re. landscapers, do you know if there is any qualification that they should have, or maybe a body to which reputable ones are affiliated?

Thanks again.

try the ALCI - association of landscape contractors of ireland
[broken link removed]

oirish

Have you treid Milliways.ie they are good quality and have a decent range at kean prices. i found them nice and helpful and helped me design my garden. I had a windy wet pit.

ohh http://www.milliways.ie

sorry

Welcome to AAM Marvin, in accordance with the posting guidelines, could you confirm whether you have any association with the above company other than being a satisfied customer?

A new poster replying to 1 or 2 year old threads with glowing recommendations has all the hallmarks of underhand advertising.
Leo

I'm just a satisfied customer. I did'nt twig that the post was years old. I just like to help them out they are good guys. Sorry if its a problem,

Marvin,

I found all that advice on moss very useful and plan to put it to work but I now suddenly have a bigger problem. Two horses broke into my lawn and did considerable damage afew weeks back when the ground was quite wet. They were my own horses so I only have myself to blame. I wanted to get a ride-on roller to roll the lawn after I fill the holes they made. A push roller isn't practical as the lawn in total is about an acre and they ran everywhere. A local plant hire company said that they have a 1.5 tonne roller which they rackon would be alright if the ground was fairly solid/dry. I want to know does anyone have any advice about what size roller an average lawn can take. The ground is well drained but I don't want to compound the damage by using a roller that is too heavy. Any ideas anyone?

Does anyone know if it's possible to overdo it when sowing lawn seed?

I've a very tiny area that I want to turn into lawn. I've bought a packet of lawn seed, but according the instructions on the box it will do a far larger area than I need. I'm tempted to use it all on the small area anyway, on the basis that this would give a good thick lawn from the outset rather than waiting for a new lawn to thicken and develop, but I'm just wondering if there's any problem with this strategy. Any experts out there who know?

I've rented my house for the last 18 months to tenants and they've moved out and the small front lawn is in a terrible condition.

There is very little grass left - he'd been parking his van on the grass.

I've cut whats left of the grass at the weekend and raked the ground to remove any stones or anything else.

Is there anything I can do at this time of year?

Should I just lay grass seed down? There is still patches of grass in places..

Thanks..

Back