Laurel hedging

aido71

Looking at planting a Laurel hedge.... I believe prices have increased significantly as more durable than some traditional hedging. Anyway today sourced bare root plants and got a quote of €350 for 200 plants.... Prob get them for about €330 cash. This seems good value I think but not being gardener type just checking here. Also our soil quality quite poor .... Filled site .... Quite wet during winter/spring.... Is this ok for laurel to grow? Going to plant it myself to save few €€

we put in Portuguese laurel last year around our paving circle to grow as a hedge, €55 for 12 of them potted. Recently put in three bareroot yew as specimens and cost €1.50 each. Shop around is my advice.

Just for info - we got a laurel hedge planted about 7/8 years ago and from day 1 it grew great. We did have to replace some plants that got hit by an early frost. Also some of the plants that are in a dip in the garden that gets quite waterlogged havent done as well as the rest. A gardener/farmer friend planted them and the one thing I remember him saying was that when you plant them, better to dig out a rutrather than a hole per plant and plant them down the rut...if you know what I mean...cant get the actual word i want!!! If you dig an individual hole per plant, you are compressing the soil around the plants and it makes it more difficult for the plants to 'bed in'

Hope that helps somewhat!

i was pricing some laurel (natural, not portugese) yesterday and the best price i got was €3.50 per 18cm tall plant, so thats a good price. my garden sounds similiar to yours (filled, boggy and exposed) but laurel was the recommendation

Hello.

I was recently looking for some hedging - trying to decide between laurel and photinia (red robin). I got a good quote from Woodside Nurseries in Aughrim, Co Wicklow - €2.75 per laurel and €4.50 for photinia. Cheapest rates I could find for the quality.

(I've no connection to Woodside Nurseries, beyond being a happy customer).

Good luck with your hedge :)

TTG

red robin don't like snow / frost - mine died last winter

cherry laurels however have no such problem - just make sure the snow weight does not snap branches off - shake them occasionally

just make sure the snow weight does not snap branches off - shake them occasionally

Husband did this on our five year old gold leylandii at the back of the garden but got tired so didnt do the two sides. The 35 at the back died and we'v just replaced them this year with the greener variety.

Back