Latest advert for car insurance - has anyone got it for €280

RMCF

I have listened to these adverts with interest as the people in question are a fair bit younger than me and don't generally have as favourable conditions as me.

So I decided to do a quick search to see what my quote would be, as I recently did a fairly extensive search when renewing my car insurance and found all the cheap ones around the €450 mark, irrespective of company.

So just did a search and got Comprehensive quote of €573. And I'm in early 40s, never had a crash, drive a fairly basic car, have had my licence for 16yrs, car garaged overnight.

So why am I so much higher than the superb deals advertised on the radio?

If its the ad Im thinking of, the tv version has tiny small print that stays on the screen for such a short time that you have to speed read it with a pair of binoculars - however, after making a number of attempts to read it it says something like "280 euro quote based on a 38 year old woman with x years no claims bonus and driving a (cant remember but small car)......".

Ill try and read it fully next time.

If you go to their website and try a female age 38, living in Leitrim and driving a car of less than 1L, valued at 5K, you can get comprehensive cover for €213! Does that sound anything like your profile/car?

Thats the one, didn't want to name the company.

My car is a 2010, and is 1.6 but bar that I am a much safer option than the 2 drivers I have seen used as an example. Unless Donegal is considered the Wild West and risky, thats the only other thing I can think would change my quote.

My car is a 2010, and is 1.6 but bar that I am a much safer option than the 2 drivers I have seen used as an example. Unless Donegal is considered the Wild West and risky, thats the only other thing I can think would change my quote.

It is!

Donegal has an exceptionally high death and injury rate in road traffic accidents per capita.

30 something old male with a clean UK licence with max no claims bonus, living in Cork County. My renewal with Aviva was €375, but I got it for €300 with getcover.ie (and they called me with that offer!). I have a small 1 litre petrol engine. Thats not too far off the radio figures.

Male, late 30’s, full no claims, full licence etc. Got a renewal from Aviva for €1200, up from €780 last year.
Both AA and 123.ie came in under €700. The policy with 123 gives superior cover.

Are you driving a monster truck?

My renewal was just shy of €400, early 40's, male, 1.3 petrol car of no real value (only kept it comprehensive as roadside assist included for very little extra money).

Are you driving a monster truck?

My renewal was just shy of €400, early 40's, male, 1.3 petrol car of no real value (only kept it comprehensive as roadside assist included for very little extra money).

2.7L car

I'm nearly 31, full NCB, no points, full licence and so on, and my insurance is €850. Some insurance companies wouldnt even quote me this year. One company who claims to offer "nonsense free" insurance said that they dont insure tdi's.

30 yrs old. Full NCB, 1 litre car (used to have 1.4 and no change in premium), no penalty points.

Insurance fully comp with road side assistance and all usuals €380. Also fully comp to drive any other car that has its own policy.

Just added a mate onto my policy, 26yrs old with full license as named driver for an extra €83 from now until end of policy (6 months away)

1.8i engine/age 44/fully comp = e425,living in Dublin,no points no claims and that was the usual ringing 12 insure/brokers.

One company who claims to offer "nonsense free" insurance said that they dont insure tdi's.

Will never bother ringing them again,the rep I spoke with was an unpleasant,smug,belligerent individual who plainly did not know his job at all,gave me a quote for house insurance e1800 despite me patiently explaining that a painting should not be listed as all risk,then he hung up on me.Perhaps they should be called No Sense Insurance.

Back