Late claim for Jobseekers Benefit

S

StevieD

I was recently made redundant, and received a non taxable statutory lump sum plus a taxed month in advance plus any outstanding holiday pay. The date of redundancy was March 30.

Am I late in claiming the jobseekers benefit now (23 April) or will they deem me to have already have been paid for April and so my claim should begin in May ?

Thanks

The RP1 form should have the date of redundancy stated and that (+1 working day) should be the date of unemployment as far as I know. Just sign on and see how it goes would be my advice.

The date of leaving on the p45 will be the "official" last date of employment so you should sign on immediately after that date. If htat date is past, sign on now and apply to have your claim backdated to the first day of unemployment, citing your reasons for not claiming on that date

Thanks for the advice. I went in and they did back-date it, so I was lucky this time - definitely will not happen again. However, I now have a new problem. I have a very, very small partnership set up with a friend. We sell Mp3 players on eBay - turnover wouldn't be any more than €5K. Because of this an inspector has to call out and screen me for the Jobseekers Allowance instead of being accepted straight away for the Jobseekers Benefit.

Anyone ever been inspected before ?

All you need is your accounts as they are looking for your self-employed net income. The inspector will ask for your records of this, plus bank statements, etc. Not too much to worry about, I'd say.

Back