Las vegas to Grand Canyon by air- Recommendations

nbc

Hi guys
I's like to get to grand canyon by fixed wing( 'Im not a helicopter fan) and spend a few hrs there and fly back... easier than driving.
Has anyone a recommendation for a reputable company and how much I should expect to pay.
Many thanks

NBC

You could fly into Phoenix and then connect to Flagstaff as its the nearest airport.

Alternatively it's about a 3 1/2 hour (fairly scenic) drive from Phoenix; you could join a tour from Phoenix if you don't want to drive.

I took the Helicopter to the West Rim flying over Hoover Dam, it’s a long flight, you wear a headset that gives audio of the trip and allows you chat freely, there was a picnic included and about 90 minutes at the Canyon itself, a long day.

Not sure how you would land in a fixed wing, if you could get over your fixed wing preference then it’s worth it as in my opinion you need to get boots on the ground at the canyon.

More impressive is the South Rim, about 4.5 - 5 hours there, same return, we left at 6.45 and were back at 6.45 pm having stayed 3 hours at the rim and stopped many times for food, coffee and pictures, I would drive to the South Rim and forget about the West Rim, it’s incredible and there is a visitor center, the drive is very easy don’t let the distance put you off, it’s an adventure after all.

We visited the Grand Canyon a number of years ago on an extended holiday in the States. We flew into Phoenix and rented a car to drive up to Flagstaff and on to the canyon. It was an easy drive and interesting scenery along the way. We even managed to get caught in a thunder and lighting storm on the way back to Flagstaff - spectacular! I think you can only do helicopter rides over the canyon as I don't think there is a landing strip for fixed wings and you'd really want to get around the area on foot.

Bus Tour from Phoenix, stops in Flagstaff, if you don't want to drive.
That or just get a bus tour from Las Vegas. It's about a 4 hour drive but you'll probably stop once or twice.
If you drive you can take in a bit of Route 66.

Any of the above is less hassle then flying.

Enquire in the hotels. When we flew out to the Grand Canyon we booked with the hotel we were staying in - The palazzo.
bus picked us up outside the hotel early morning. Drove us to airstrip where we were weighed and then boarded a small plane(maybe a dozen seats with an open cockpit). Flew To the south rim, which is the widest and deepest part of the canyon.

Was there a long time ago. Drove out from Vegas. Stayed overnight to catch the sun rise. We got a plane tour somewhere near. Afterwards we thought perhaps a helicopter might have seen more. Also while we drove around a fair bit and walked around the top. Kinda regretted not taking a trip to down into the canyon.

That said it was part of a bigger trip and we had a fixed budget, doing it differently would have cost a lot more and taken to way too much time. In hindsight it was a good compromise.

Back